A Newport farmhouse’s barn was destroyed Saturday by a fire that officials believe was accidentally set off by a smoke bomb for pest control.

The afternoon fire happened at 399 Rutland Road at a residential farmhouse, where a barn had caught fire, according to Newport Fire Chief Jeff Chretien.

There were people home at the time, but no one was injured and the house sustained minimal smoke damage, Chretien said. The barn was destroyed.

Newport firefighters were assisted at the scene by crews from Pittsfield, Plymouth, Corinna and Stetson.