Anthony Lord, 35, the man suspected of fatally shooting two people and injuring four others, has a lengthy criminal history dating to 1999.

He was sentenced in 2002 to 364 days in prison, all suspended, for assault and criminal trespass.

That same year, he was charged with Class A gross sexual assault and Class C unlawful sexual contact. He pleaded guilty in 2004 to the lesser charge and was sentenced to five years in prison, with all but 18 months suspended. That conviction resulted in Lord having to register as a lifetime sex offender.

Lord also has convictions for theft, operating under the influence, trafficking tobacco while in prison and, most recently, domestic violence assault.

Lord served time for assaulting his then-girlfriend in January, according to Penobscot County District Attorney Christopher Almy. The victim in that case was not Brittany Irish, the 21-year-old whom police say he kidnapped from her home in Benedicta on Friday morning after fatally shooting her boyfriend and wounding her mother.

In January, Lord’s former girlfriend called police to say that he accused her of being late getting out of work when he picked her up. He drove recklessly home and became more aggressive after they picked up their infant at the baby sitter, Almy said in an email. Lord grabbed the woman by the throat, called her names and pushed her into a door frame while their children were present.

Lord pleaded guilty and was sentenced to serve 45 days of a 10-month sentence, two years probation and ordered to attend a batterers intervention program. He recently tried to get his probation amended so he did not have to attend the classes and so he could have contact with the victim, Almy said. Prosecutors objected out of concern for her safety.

Lord’s 6-month-old son, Larry Earl Lord, died May 7 in Bangor. Maine State Police continue to investigate the circumstances of the child’s death, spokesman Stephen McCausland said. The state medical examiner has not determined a cause of death pending further studies, according to the Maine Attorney General’s Office.

Comments are no longer available on this story