BIDDEFORD — The nation’s thirdranked squad, Bowdoin College, chalked up a 3-1 victory over the University of New England in field hockey action Wednesday evening at the Big Blue Turf.

It was the first outing of 2015 for the Polar Bears (1-0), who were the national runner-up last year. The setback is the first of the season for the Nor’easters (2-1).

Liz Znamierowski (Richmond, Vt.) got Bowdoin on the board first, scoring at the right post in the 13th minute after Kimmy Ganong (Brunswick, Maine) sent a pass through the crease. That margin held into halftime, along with a 12-0 spread in shots and a 7-3 edge in penalty corners. For Big Blue, Holly Smith (Peabody, Mass.) turned in seven saves during the initial period to keep the gap at one.

Polar Bears defender Emma Olney (Greenwich, Conn.) preserved the lead early in the 2nd half as UNE’s Nicole Matarozzo (Wolfeboro, N.H.) ran from the midfield on a break and popped a shot over the goalie sliding out, but Olney got back to knock it away.

In the 44th minute, Rachel Kennedy (Trumbull, Conn.) put in a rebound off her own shot to make it 2-0 for Bowdoin, and a little less than eight minutes later (52nd), Alexa Baumgartner (Newton, Mass.) drove one inside the far post from the right side of the arc following a feed from Kelsey Mullaney (Boston, Mass.) at the top.

UNE broke through on its fourth shot attempt of the contest in the 55th minute, as Desirae LeBlanc (Manchester, N.H.) pushed a lengthy pass into through a crowd into the arc, and Vonde Saunders (Conway, N.H.) settled her first touch before curling a shot around the goalie.

The Nor’easters could not get any closer, however, as Bowdoin finished off the twogoal cushion with sizable advantages in shots (22-4) and corners (15-4).

Smith ended with a dozen saves for UNE, while Clara Belitz (Del Mar, Calif.) made one stop protecting the Polar Bears goal.

Bowdoin is set to visit No. 12 Amherst College in conference play on Saturday at noon. Big Blue will entertain MIT later that same afternoon at 3 p.m.

Husson tops UNE in women’s soccer

BANGOR — Taylor Fortin scored in the 60th minute to break a tie game and give the Husson University Eagles a 2-1 victory over the University of New England Nor’easters in a non-conference women’s soccer match played Wednesday afternoon at Boucher Field.

The win keeps Husson unbeaten on the season at 2-0-1 and was the Eagles’ first win over UNE since the 1992 season. The Nor’easters, who drop to 2-1-0, had won the previous 13 meetings between the two teams.

With the score tied 1-1 in the early stages of the second half, Fortin used her head to re-direct a throw-in by Emily Berry. Fortin’s header slid into the bottom right-hand corner of the net.

UNE had taken a 1-0 lead 7:24 into the contest when Devon Wolfenden converted a feed from Jackie Dickerson for her first goal in a UNE uniform. The junior transfer has a goal and two assists in the Nor’easters’ opening three matches.

Husson drew even less than six minutes later. Alison Boulier chipped a shot over the head of UNE goalkeeper Brielle Robinson after receiving a pass from Katie Cyr.

The Nor’easters held a slight advantage in shots (16-15) while leading 6-1 in corner kicks. Robinson had five saves for UNE, and Kayla Gordon earned the win with seven stops for Husson.

UNE opens Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) play on Saturday when Endicott College comes to Biddeford for a 1 p.m. game.

Comments are not available on this story.

filed under: