Sanford’s Patrick Morris (10) makes a pass past Biddeford’s Patrick Michaud (5) during the Spartans’ 5-2 victory at Cobb Stadium in Sanford Thursday.

Sanford’s Patrick Morris (10) makes a pass past Biddeford’s Patrick Michaud (5) during the Spartans’ 5-2 victory at Cobb Stadium in Sanford Thursday.

SANFORD — All the Sanford boys soccer team needed to get its attack going was a kick-start. It got that in the form of an early penalty kick in Thursday’s game against Biddeford. Patrick Morris converted the penalty, then found net three more times in a 5-2 Spartans victory at Cobb Stadium.

“The first goal definitely helped gain my confidence, and the rest just came,” said Morris, a junior. “We had momentum early and we just kept with it.”

Sanford (1-1) had been shut out in its season opener against South Portland last Friday, and was scoreless through the first 12 minutes of Thursday’s tilt. Then the Spartans drew a hard foul in the box and Morris stepped to the mark looking to end that season-opening scoreless streak.

As was the case for most of the night, Morris didn’t miss.

“I told (the team) and I told coach, once we get our first goal, it’s the first one of the year … the floodgates are going to open,” said Sanford head coach Tim Fecteau.

The levy broke on the Biddeford (0-3) defense in a hurry. Morris scored 16 seconds later, running up the middle of the field before blasting a shot from 20 yards out past Biddeford goalie Tristan Huot.

Looking to answer back the Tigers nearly cut the deficit in half just over a minute later, but Sanford goalie Tylar Burgess punched a Badir Saadoon header off a corner over the crossbar, then corralled a second corner kick.

Back to work the Spartans attack went, led by Morris. Huot got the better of him on a shot 15 minutes in, but Mason Scully was there to put the rebound in as Sanford went up 3-0.

“Biddeford’s starting to rebuild. They lost a lot of players from last year,” Fecteau said in regards to the three goals in three minutes spurt. “We’re fortunate that we’re coming out with a veteran team, and we got some great chemistry.”

Biddeford, for its part, regrouped rather quickly. Burgess stopped quality chance from George Bigeni 19 minutes in, but wasn’t able to do the same against Geoffrey Ongee, who ran in from the left side off a centerline pass from Saadoon three minutes later. Cody Saucier added another for the Tigers 70 seconds after the first, as he re-directed a cross from Kyle Norton right in front of Burgess to the right of the goal.

“We had a couple breakdowns. Obviously giving up two goals wasn’t my plan, and our plan. But those are things you got to work on,” said Fecteau. “It keeps us checked and keeps us real.”

Sanford took back momentum heading into halftime, and it was Morris again that did the damage. Huot’s attempted punch clear landed right to Morris, who out-muscled a couple Biddeford defenders before beating Huot from in close.

“He’s a key player and in the right spots at the right time,” Fecteau said of Morris.

Biddeford fixed the leaks in its defense in the second half, but Morris was able to get one more past the Tigers before the game was finished. Isaac Chernin’s long cross from the right was punched away by Huot (35 saves), but like a magnet the ball found Morris, who won the 50-50 ball and struck a low shot into the back of the net from the top of the box.

Morris said he’s only ever scored four goals before in travel soccer, but it’s something he believes is always a possibility – even if not a probability.

“I always have that feeling,” said Morris. “It just happened tonight.”

— Sports Staff Writer Wil Kramlich can be contacted at 282-1535, ext. 323 or [email protected] Follow him on Twitter @WilTalkSports.

Comments are not available on this story.

filed under: