FRYEBURG — Austin Chase broke a tackle in the backfield, drove off tackle and sprinted 82 yards down the sideline for the go-ahead touchdown early in the fourth quarter, and Gray-New Gloucester held on for a 22-20 win over Fryeburg Academy in a Class C South football game Saturday afternoon.

It was the second straight comeback win for Gray-New Gloucester (2-0), which snapped a 23-game losing streak with a 44-37 victory over Mountain Valley in its season opener.

Fryeburg (0-2) threatened to regain the lead in the closing seconds but fumbled the ball away at the goal line on the final play.

Ryan Gullikson gave Fryeburg an 8-0 lead in the first quarter with a 10-yard run and a conversion pass to Scott Parker. Chase countered with an 85-yard run early in the second quarter, and Justice Bowie passed to Zack Haskell for the tying conversion.

The Patriots recovered the ensuing kickoff after it was mishandled by Fryeburg, and Bowie connected with Haskell on the next play for a 38-yard touchdown, then ran in the conversion.

Fryeburg pulled ahead in the third quarter, though, when Gullikson scored on runs of 3 and 4 yards.

WELLS 63, FREEPORT 6: Reid Chase scored a pair of touchdowns in the first quarter as the Warriors (2-0) raced out to a 37-0 lead and cruised to a win over the Falcons (0-2) at Freeport.


GORHAM 2, SOUTH PORTLAND 1: Tyler Richmond scored off a cross from Ethan Orach with 2:30 left to lift the Rams (2-0) over the Red Riots (2-1) in South Portland.

Jackson Fotter opened the scoring for Gorham seven minutes into the game. South Portland’s Kervens Antoine tied it with 9:40 remaining.

South Portland keeper Riley Hasson finished with 15 saves. Trenton Bassingthwaite made five saves for Gorham.

SCARBOROUGH 5, BONNY EAGLE 1: Spencer Pettingill and Jacob Kacer tallied two goals apiece for the Red Storm (2-0), who scored four times in the second half to break open a 1-1 tie against the Scots (1-1) at Scarborough.

Alex Giles also scored for Scarborough. Bonny Eagle got a goal from Ryan Moody.

THORNTON ACADEMY 6, SANFORD 0: Dalton Moore scored on each half as the Trojans (3-0-1) cruised past the Spartans (1-2) in Saco.

Cam Twombly contributed a goal and an assist, Kevin Sifuentes, Simon Trcka and Edwin Kayumba also scored, and Jacob Hale had two assists.

YARMOUTH 4, CAPE ELIZABETH 0: The Clippers (3-0) scored three first-half goals on their way to a win over the Capers (2-1) at Yarmouth.

Henry Coolidge led the way with two goals, both assisted by Patrick Grant. Nico Whitlock also scored in the first half on a header from 10 yards out.

Luke Groothoff added a second-half goal.

Yarmouth keeper Cal Owen did not have to make a save. Cape’s Sean Agrodnia stopped five shots.

BRUNSWICK 2, MESSALONSKEE 1: JD Souza scored his second goal of the game with 6:30 remaining to give the Dragons (3-1) a win over the Eagles (2-1-1) at Brunswick.

James Kouletsis converted a cross from Jack Moore to put Messalonskee ahead late in the first half. Souza’s unassisted goal tied it with 15 minutes left.

CONY 3, MT. ARARAT 2: Tyler Sproul scored the second of his two goals in the second overtime to lift the Rams (2-2-1) to a win over the Eagles (2-1-1) in Topsham.

Cole Guerin and Travis Nadeau each scored for Mt. Ararat.