FALMOUTH — Connor Aube scooped up a bouncing punt deep in his own territory at the end of the third quarter and ran 36 yards to give Falmouth some breathing room.

Minutes later, Aube, a halfback, scored on a 4-yard run out of the wildcat formation to give his team its first lead of the game against Biddeford. Falmouth stopped a final drive for a 14-7 win in a Class B South football game Friday night.

It was the first meeting in football between the two schools. Biddeford, a longtime Class A school, dropped down to Class B this year because of declining enrollment.

Falmouth (3-0) showed some jitters early but settled down and got the ball to Aube. The inside counter play was especially productive for Falmouth.

But Aube’s punt return also was a key play.

“I didn’t want us to be stranded deep in our own territory,” said Aube. “It gave us the momentum.

Biddeford (1-2) led 7-0 early, thanks to 21-yard pass from Joey Curit to Patrick Pearl. Curit scrambled to buy some time before throwing to Pearl.

The Tigers were on the verge of another touchdown in the second quarter, reaching the Falmouth 2, but they failed to score.

“We could have been up 14-0, and with our defense … ” said Biddeford Coach Brian Curit. “That was gut-check time for us and we didn’t get it done.

“Give Falmouth credit for making a great stand. I’ll take responsibility for us not scoring.”

Later in the quarter, Falmouth started a drive at its own 13 and took a step backward when quarterback Jack Bryant was dropped for a 6-yard loss. But George Gilbert ran for 23 yards, and then Aube took an inside handoff, got outside and outran the Biddeford defense for a 70-yard score with 2:28 left in the first half. The extra-point attempt was low, however, so Biddeford still led, 7-6.

The third quarter was played between the 30s as neither team could generate any offense. Then Aube’s punt return set up the winning drive.

Falmouth used its passing game effectively on the way to the go-ahead touchdown. Bryant, a sophomore, passed to his brother Sean, a senior, for 9 yards on the first play of the drive. Then he threw to Austin Wheeler for an 8-yard gain. Two plays later, Bryant scrambled for 6 yards, and Biddeford was called for a late hit and a personal foul.

That brought the ball to the Biddeford 8. Aube ran for 4 yards on first down and scored on the next play. The Yachtsmen went for the 2-point conversion, with Bryant passing over the middle to Gilbert.

Biddeford got the ball back twice in the final nine minutes. On their last possession, the Tigers drove to the 22 before a holding penalty pushed them back to the 29.

Falmouth’s secondary came up big in the final seconds. First, Wheeler knocked down a pass, then Aube nearly picked one off.

On fourth-and-17, Curit threw a pass that just eluded Pearl’s grasp.

“We have a lockdown secondary,” said Aube.

Falmouth Coach John Fitzsimmons was impressed with his team’s performance, as well as Biddeford’s.

“We learned what it means to play a top quality program,” said Fitzsimmons. “Biddeford blocks and tackles by the book. They’re well-coached. Biddeford fought to the last.

“It took us a while to get our intensity level up. Connor Aube is the real deal.”