PROVIDENCE, R.I. — Rhode Island’s legislative leaders plan to hold hearings into what went wrong in the state’s failed $75 million deal with Curt Schilling’s video game company 38 Studios, they announced Friday.

The news came one day after a court released tens of thousands of pages of documents in a lawsuit brought by the state’s economic development agency against the former Red Sox pitcher and others who played a part in the 2010 deal. The company declared bankruptcy in 2012. Dozens of people were deposed, but key figures including Schilling were not.

House Speaker Nicholas Mattiello and Senate President Teresa Paiva Weed both said their respective oversight committees would sift through the documents, then hold hearings.

It was not immediately clear Friday how extensive the hearings would be, whether lawmakers would call witnesses to testify and whether they would issue subpoenas to those reluctant to come before them. Paiva Weed said she would let committee members decide whether to subpoena anyone. A spokesman for Mattiello said they will take it one step at a time.

Past attempts by lawmakers on the oversight committees to delve deeply into the deal have run into roadblocks. Mattiello last year said the House is not an investigative body, and he called subpoenas an “extraordinary” step. He has said he wanted the lawsuit and a state criminal investigation to play out.

As of Friday, the lawsuit is still pending, and authorities said a criminal investigation is still open.

House Oversight Committee Chairwoman Karen MacBeth said she is open to issuing subpoenas, but she can’t say whether she will ask for it before she has gone through the documents.