SKOWHEGAN — A former high school music teacher from Pittsfield will serve three years in prison and then wear an electronic monitoring bracelet for two years following his convictions this month for domestic violence assaults against his one-time girlfriend.

Andrew Maderios, 29, was sentenced Monday to 15 years with all but three years suspended and six years of probation with the first two of those years to include electronic monitoring.

Outside Somerset County Superior Court, District Attorney Maeghan Maloney said the victim is pleased with the sentence. “She does feel it will be able to keep her safe,” Maloney said.

Maloney said the victim, who testified Monday that Maderios put her in fear for her life, is also happy that Maderios has been ordered to undergo psychological evaluation and treatment and to enter the certified batterers intervention program.

“He’ll be tucked away from the victim for at least five years,” Maloney said. “I was concerned what he would do when he left prison. With electronic monitoring, I don’t have that concern because we’re able to know where he is at all times.”

Maderios, a former teacher at Nokomis Regional High School in Newport, was whisked away to begin serving his sentence.

Before that, Maderios tearfully said his dream of being a music teacher, a husband and a father had all been dashed.

But it was Maderios’ apparent lack of remorse and inability to take responsibility for his actions that moved Justice Robert Mullen to impose the long prison sentence. Mullen said because Maderios continued to blame the victim, he had no choice but to impose the 15-year suspended sentence.

Maloney had asked for a 15-year sentence with all but six years suspended on Maderios’ conviction of two counts of felony aggravated assault and two counts of domestic violence assault. He was tried on nine charges, and the convictions were on charges related to attacks recorded by the victim on her cellphone.

On Sept. 4, the 12-person jury returned guilty verdicts against Maderios, who was charged with beating, kicking and choking the victim over several months, from December 2013 to July 2014.

She documented the attacks at the Pittsfield home the couple shared with audio recordings and still photographs, all on her iPhone, which became key evidence in the five-day trial.

The victim, whom the Morning Sentinel is not identifying, told the judge: “I thought he was the perfect guy. It all seemed to fit in place.”

But it got to be, she said, that the only plan for her and her two daughters was to “make it through each day.”

“The fear of dying was overwhelming,” she said.


Comments are disabled on some stories about sensitive topics.