Eight people were displaced by a fire early Saturday morning that heavily damaged an Auburn apartment building.

Auburn fire officials said the Court Street building was a total loss and the Red Cross is helping residents find other housing.

The cause of the fire was an unattended candle, fire officials said, and the woman who was in the apartment where the fire started alerted other residents. She was treated at the scene for minor burns, officials said.

No one else was hurt in the fire, which began about 2:40 a.m.

Officials said the building was equipped with working smoke detectors and emergency lighting.