SCARBOROUGH — Scarborough turned back a challenge from Marshwood to run its winning streak to 10 and remain unbeaten in an SMAA girls’ soccer game Wednesday night.

Mary Farnkoff and Gaby Panagakos scored a little less than 12 minutes apart in the first half and the Red Storm held off the Hawks for a 2-1 victory to remain atop the Class A South Heal Point standings.

“They are definitely one of the best teams we’ve played,” Scarborough Coach Mike Farley said. “This game was so close. It could have went either way.”

Scarborough (11-0-1) held a 9-8 edge in shots over Marshwood (9-2), but neither team had many chances.

“In the first half we were so worried about them keeping possession that we were yanking ourselves out of spots where we needed to be, and (Marshwood) did a good job swinging the play to the middle,” Farley said.

“They did a great job of shutting us down defensively and that takes us right out of our game,” Marshwood Coach Chelsea Watson said. “Unfortunately we couldn’t build up anything.”

All of the scoring took place during a brief early segment.

In the 11th minute, Farnkoff put in a penalty kick after Marshwood defender Hailey Tarr was called for knocking Panagakos off the ball inside the zone while on a breakaway.

It was the first penalty kick awarded to the Red Storm this season, and Farnkoff beat goalie Emily Robida with a hard shot to the left side.

A little more than 10 minutes later, Marin Smith tied the score when she picked up a deflected ball to the left of the Scarborough goal and lined a left-footed shot inside the far post.

Less than two minutes later, the Red Storm regained the lead when Panagakos got free on a breakaway and slammed a shot under the crossbar from 25 yards over the head of Robida, who had ranged far from her line to try and break up the run by the sophomore forward.

Midfielder Maggie Murphy received an assist on the goal. Her passes set up both of Panagakos’ runs.

Neither team was able to control the ball for long during the scoreless second half.

“We finally settled down defensively in the second half, which was a big deal,” Farley said. “They did a great job offensively of pressuring us in the midfield and up top. Our defense was good enough to hold that, but (Marshwood is) a phenomenal team.”

Watson said the Hawks seldom got a chance to play their game.

“We work on possession, and getting a lot of shots and opportunities,” she said. “We figure we’re going to get some opportunities and we should capitalize on just a few. We got caught up in (Scarborough’s) tempo and unfortunately didn’t play our game tonight.

Goalies from both teams made key saves.

In the 32nd minute, Robida, who had four saves, kept a shot from Murphy out of the goal after Murphy broke in alone. In the 48th minute, she knocked away Panagakos’ blast from the right side.

In the 59th minute, Scarborough goalie Molly LeComte batted Hannah Fife’s long lob shot away from the goalmouth.