The Waynflete School’s boys’ soccer team has come close the last couple of years, suffering some frustrating losses in the regional tournament.

Wednesday afternoon, the second-seeded Flyers were clearly determined not to let that happen again.

Seniors Aaron Lee and Cullen Bollinger each scored two goals – one in each half – as Waynflete defeated Monmouth Academy 4-0 in the Class C South regional final in Portland.

The Flyers controlled the tempo and flow of the game as their defense did not allow a shot on goalkeeper Milo Belleau.

“They don’t give you any room,” said Joe Fletcher, coach of the Mustangs. “They come at you in waves and they’re deep. We haven’t faced a defense that good all season.”

Waynflete (14-2-1) will play the North champion Washington Academy (17-0) at 12:30 p.m. Saturday at Presque Isle Middle School for the Class C state title. The Flyers last won the state title in 2011.


“This was a total team effort,” said Brandon Salway, Waynflete’s coach. “The seniors really wanted it and were really focused. I thought it was one of our most complete performances.”

No. 4 Monmouth (12-4), which advanced to the regional final with two overtime victories, had hoped to stay close early. But Waynflete got a stunning goal from Bollinger just 8:04 into the game to give the Flyers early momentum. Bollinger collected the ball at midfield, dribbled up the left side and took a shot from about 35 yards out. It floated high and over the outstretched hand of Monmouth keeper Bradley Neal and into the upper right corner.

“We hadn’t scored many goals of late and to get one like that kind of takes the pressure off,” said Salway. “And we really didn’t want to sit on one goal because we know what Monmouth has done.”

The Flyers kept the pressure on, and Neal made several nice saves. But Lee scored with 8:59 remaining in the first half to make it 2-0. Belleau set the play in motion with a long goal kick into the Mustangs’ end. Lee tapped it past a defender down the right side.

Neal came out to challenge, but Lee managed to push the ball around him after a slight collision. With Neal on the ground, Lee had an open net.

“It seems that simple,” said Lee. “There is a lot going through your head. I heard some guys calling my name so my first thought was, ‘Who’s open?’ Then I looked and saw an open net with no one in front of me and so I tapped it in.”


Still, trailing 2-0 at the half, Fletcher thought the Mustangs could come back. “But their defense was too solid,” he said.

Willy Burdick was among the Flyers who played outstanding games, breaking up crossing passes and heading the ball out of danger.

“Our defense has been rock solid all year,” said Burdick. “We communicate really well.”

Lee scored again about 12 minutes into the second half, taking a nice lead pass from Tommy Silk and beating Neal inside the right post. Then Bollinger finished the scoring with 1:28 remaining.

“It feels amazing,” said Lee. “But we know everything that we’ve done up to this point is just work for Saturday. And we’re ready.”

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.