beforeafter

Contemporary view courtesy of Google Earth; 1969 courtesy of the Portland Press Herald digital archives

This is a 1969 photograph of the construction of the Jordan Marsh store, the first store to be constructed in the Maine Mall in South Portland. Some of the services the store offered when it opened included stationery engraving, bronzing baby shoes and luggage repair.

As seen in the 2015 view, the building now houses the Macy’s department store.

The Portland Room of the Portland Public Library is in the process of organizing and conserving the archival collection of original Portland Press Herald, Maine Sunday Telegram and Evening Express photographic negatives — a major collection that spans from 1937 to 2005. Find more photos at www.pressherald.com/flashback/.


Comments are not available on this story.