A resident of Franklin Towers in Portland was critically burned Friday night when his clothes caught fire inside his apartment, the State Fire Marshal’s Office said.

Myron H. McLaughlin, 80, suffered burns to 60 percent of his body and was treated Saturday at Maine Medical Center, the Fire Marshal’s Office said in a news release. But a hospital spokeswoman said no patient by that name was there Saturday night, and authorities released no new information Sunday.

Portland firefighters responded to the apartment building on Cumberland Avenue about 7:30 p.m. Friday when a smoke alarm went off.

Investigators said it appears McLaughlin was smoking while sitting in a chair in his living room when his fleece pajamas caught fire. There was no damage to the apartment.