An elderly Portland man died Sunday, two days after he was critically injured when his pajamas caught fire.

Myron H. McLaughlin, 80, was burned over 60 percent of his body Friday night. Firefighters were called to his apartment at Franklin Towers around 7:30 p.m. Friday after a smoke alarm went off. McLaughlin was taken to Maine Medical Center, where he died on Sunday.

Investigators from the State Fire Marshal’s Office say it appears McLaughlin was smoking while sitting in a living room chair and his fleece pajamas caught fire. There was no damage to the apartment.