A fire that broke out Monday afternoon in a window sill in a third-floor apartment in Portland’s Old Port produced a lot of smoke and confusion, but turned out to be minor.

Deputy Fire Chief Shawn Neat said that when crews arrived at 15 Exchange St. around 5:08 p.m., they encountered heavy traffic and a large crowd of people. Smoke was pouring out of the Market Street side of the apartment building, but when firefighters entered the unoccupied apartment, they determined that a window sill had caught fire and was burning into a wall.

“The damage was minor,” Neat said. “But an incident like this in that area during the height of the Christmas shopping season is a huge challenge.”

Smoke detectors alerted authorities to the fire, which was brought under control within a few minutes.