ASHLAND — The Maine State Fire Marshal’s Office says investigators are looking at a propane heater and numerous candles as possible causes of a fire that killed a man in a camper.

Authorities say the man’s body was found Wednesday in an Ashland camper he had been living in. They say the man’s body was burned beyond recognition and the State Medical Examiner’s Officer will probably use DNA evidence to positively identify the victim.

The camper burned to the ground. Authorities say the man who lived in the camper would use friends’ properties to locate it. The camper had been parked on Main Street since early fall. It was the 16th fire death of the year in Maine.