Route 302 in Windham reopened to traffic at 5:30 p.m. Monday after authorities had to close the heavily traveled road when fire started at the Domino’s Pizza at 14 Heathwood Drive.

Windham Fire Chief Brent Libby said the fire started on the business’s front porch around 3:30 p.m. and may have been caused by an improperly discarded cigarette.

“When we arrived, we encountered fire on the front porch and at the front of the building,” Libby said.

He said Domino’s was open for business when the fire started, but he was not sure if there were any customers inside.

He said everyone made it out safely.

Libby said the wood-frame building is not a total loss. Most of the damage caused by the fire was restricted to the area of the front porch while the rest of the restaurant sustained smoke damage.

The origin of the fire does not appear to be suspicious, Libby said.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: