FALMOUTH — A Friday night fire left a Field Road home with mostly minor smoke damage, although part of a ceiling and attic burned, according to Fire Department officials.

The fire at 125 Field Road was called in just after 11:30 p.m. Aug. 5. According to a press release, smoke was coming from the eaves of the second floor of the house when first responders arrived; all of Falmouth’s fire apparatus was eventually sent to the scene.

“The fire was in the master bedroom and master bathroom above the garage, and the fire started in the ceiling,” Rice said Monday. “The ceiling and attic burned, but we kept it there.”

He said the cause of the fire was believed to be electrical and likely started near the ceiling fan in the master bathroom. The state Fire Marshal’s Office was not called in.

Rice said two people and their dog were home at the time of the fire, and all escaped unharmed. 

There were no injuries and crews cleared the scene by 2:30 a.m.

“It was not a total loss,” Rice said. “That was an addition years ago and that’s what burned.”

Falmouth’s tanker was already at a fire in Windham, so Fire-EMS Chief Howard Rice Jr. requested Cumberland’s tanker, which had just returned from the Windham fire.

Falmouth and Cumberland crews were able to keep the fire contained.  Crews used tarps to perform salvage operations and protect the occupants’ belongings from being damaged by water.

Rice said about 35 people were involved in putting out the fire. North Yarmouth and Freeport fire departments both sent tanker trucks, though they were not needed. Crews from Yarmouth covered the Falmouth station.

Colin Ellis can be reached at 781-3661 ext. 123 or [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter: @colinoellis.

filed under: