WESTBROOK — The Massabesic High field hockey team stumbled to the end of the regular season, losing three of its last five games after senior midfielder Colby Williams suffered a season-ending knee injury.

The Mustangs showed Wednesday they’ve recovered nicely now that the playoffs are here. Emma Rutledge scored two goals as fifth-ranked Massabesic surged to a 5-1 victory over fourth-seeded Westbrook in the Class A South quarterfinals.

“These girls have gone through a lot,” said Mustangs Coach Michele Martin-Moore. “I’m really proud of how they played. All I could do is smile at the end.”

Massabesic (11-3-1) will play at top-ranked Falmouth in the semifinals Saturday, with the time to be determined.

Massabesic controlled play throughout, getting four goals off penalty corners. The Mustangs had 10 corners in the game. Westbrook (11-3-1), held without a shot in the first half, had eight corners but failed to score on any.

Having lost to the Blazes 1-0 on Oct. 7, Massabesic scored first when Emma Desrochers, uncovered at the left post, swept in a pass from Morgan Pike just 10:11 into the game to conclude a penalty corner.

“I feel it was very important because it helped our intensity a lot,” said Desrochers, who replaced the injured Williams at midfield. “It helped pick it up and made us get into the game more.”

Westbrook stayed close but the Mustangs got a scramble goal from Rutledge with 1:16 left in the first half.

“That was a tough one to bounce back from,” said Westbrook Coach Beth Murphy. “One goal is not a big deal. We’ve done that before.

“That one there just snuck by them and probably deflated them a little.”

Still, the Blazes came out aggressively in the first seven minutes of the second half, getting three quick penalty corners. But they couldn’t score, with defender Lydia Wasina twice breaking up rushes with outstanding defensive plays.

“They were moving, they were cutting to the ball really fast,” said Wasina. “So we knew we had to at least stay even to match it. We knew we needed to bring up the intensity even more.”

The Mustangs regained control with 19:37 remaining when Jackie Bearse scored off a penalty corner. Desrochers inserted the ball to Kaylee St. Laurent at the top of the circle. She made a move to the right, then found Bearse uncovered at the left post for an easy goal.

Avery Tucker of Westbrook responded with a hard drive for a goal just 1:21 later. But the Mustangs got their fourth goal with 14:37 remaining, off a penalty corner with Rutledge getting the score.

Sophia LaFrance scored the final goal with 4:41 remaining, tipping in a shot by Logan Champlin, also on a penalty corner.

“I thought the kids played well overall,” said Murphy. “We just didn’t bring it to the competition (like) Massabesic (did).”

The Mustangs were exceptional, winning most loose balls and burying their chances.

“I think this showed what we can do when we work together,” said Desrochers. “Now we’re entering our next one-game season.”