An overheated piece of electronics left the York Dispatch Center without the use of its usual radios on Friday night. The dispatch center’s power supply overheated shortly after 9:30 p.m., knocking out radio service in the police station.

“I heard a funny noise on the radio, and went in the radio room and smelled smoke,” said Patrick Moulton, a dispatch communications specialist. He called the fire department, unplugged the smoking equipment and awaited the arrival of firefighters.

There were no injuries or damages, other than to the power supply. Emergency services were not interrupted, Moulton said. The dispatch center used portable radios and phones for communications while vendors worked to fix the equipment.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: