FALMOUTH — This Falmouth girls’ soccer team can be dangerous when any of three forwards gets the ball.

“We like our chances,” is how Coach Andrew Pelletier put it.

The Yachtsmen did have chances Wednesday night, but to eliminate a determined Marshwood team, Falmouth needed help from all three forwards.

After her two teammates had a try, Amelia Waite finished the job, scoring on a rebound with 10:48 left in the first overtime to give Falmouth to a 2-1 win in a Class A South quarterfinal Wednesday night.

Fourth-seeded Falmouth (12-3-1) advances to a semifinal Saturday against top-seeded Gorham (14-0-1), which needed penalty kicks to beat Kennebunk.

No. 5 Marshwood is done at 11-4-1.

In regulation, midfielder Molly Ferguson scored for Marshwood and Lauren Wendland tallied for Falmouth.

Falmouth’s trio of Waite, Wendland and Madison Wolf were getting possessions, but the ball was often cleared out by Marshwood’s defense, led by senior back Paige Singer.

“We just didn’t finish,” Pelletier said. “Normally we finish very well.

“We dominated in chances … but that’s one of the hardest-working teams we’ve seen.”

If the Hawks seemed extra-motivated, they were. On the sideline, supported by crutches, was one of their leaders, junior striker Marin Smith, who broke her right ankle three days ago in the preliminary round.

“For Marin not to be out there, it obviously hurts,” Marshwood Coach Chelsea Watson said. “But the team rallied around her. The team did what it was supposed to do and picked it up.”

Elora Montgomery, a junior, filled in admirably in at midfield. Senior midfielders Hannah Fife, Reagan Nichols and Ferguson did their part, with Ferguson seemingly everywhere.

And Marshwood had sophomore defender Katherine Page marking Wendland, who is always a threat, as well as being almost a foot taller than Page.

“She’s small, but that girl’s tough,” Watson said. “She knew exactly what to do.”

Falmouth could not break through in the first half. Marshwood did, taking a 1-0 lead.

Casey Perry dribbled between Falmouth defenders and grounded a shot. Keeper Adelaide Cooke made the save from her knees, slapping the ball away, but Ferguson beat the Yachtsmen defenders to the ball and scored into the open net with 7:12 left in the half.

“That was definitely discouraging,” Waite said. “There was a lot of emotion on the sideline (at halftime). We got our heads back in the game.”

Falmouth wasted no time tying the game, with Wendland breaking free in the box and scoring 35 seconds into the second half.

“I saw (sophomore back Delaney Goodell), and she hit it to me,” Wendland said. “I made sure I wasn’t offsides and I just hit it first time.”

Falmouth had more chances, outshooting Marshwood 13-9, with midfielder Lucy Mahoney and back Cali Wiberg sending balls ahead to the three forwards.

In overtime, Wolf took a shot that was deflected. Both Wendland and Marshwood keeper Nathalie Clavette raced for it at got to the ball at the same time.

“The goalie and I collided,” Wendland said. “The ball came back out to Amelia.”

Waite was waiting. “I saw my opportunity and finished it,” she said of her one-time blast.

Falmouth celebrated, and Watson eventually gathered her players.

“I told the girls that’s the best game you’ve played, regardless of the outcome,” Watson said.