A home on Henderson Drive in Buxton was destroyed Sunday by a fire that appeared to have been caused by an electrical malfunction.

Buxton Fire Chief Nathan Schools said that when firefighters arrived they encountered heavy smoke and flames shooting from the second floor of 18 Henderson Drive.

“Fire just tore through the second floor,” Schools said, causing the roof and window dormers to collapse into the second floor area, which was partially finished.

Schools said a woman was sleeping on the second floor, but fled when she awakened to fire and smoke coming from the area of an extension cord.

“We were told that everyone including the pets got out safely,” Schools said.

The fire, which is not suspicious, was first reported around 11:43 a.m. Sunday. There are no hydrants in the neighborhood so crews from more than six area fire departments had to truck in water. It took crews about 45 minutes to bring the fire under control.

The American Red Cross was called in to assist the family who lived there with finding temporary shelter.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: