KENNEBUNK — Kennebunk High has made a habit of playing – and winning – close football games this season.

Friday night it happened again, this time in the Class B South semifinal against Marshwood, the reigning two-time state champion.

Top-ranked Kennebunk won 13-7 to improve to 10-0 and advance to the regional final for the first time since 2013.

It was close because of Kennebunk’s own mistakes – four turnovers, two missed field goals and one touchdown wiped out by a penalty. It was a win because the Rams also forced four turnovers and held the fourth-seeded Hawks (6-4) to 206 yards, just 84 in the second half.

“We just always focus on the next play, no matter what happens, good or bad,” linebacker and fullback Patrick Saunders said. “It’s cliche, of course, but that’s what Coach (Joe Rafferty) has always taught us and it showed on the field. We always just keep moving on to the next play.”

Kennebunk, which has won five games by seven points or less, will be home against second-ranked Biddeford (9-1) in the South final, expected to be next Saturday afternoon. Kennebunk beat Biddeford 16-12 in the regular season.

“We weren’t even expected to make the playoffs so making it this far is huge for all of us,” said Kennebunk tailback Jake Littlefield, who rushed for 189 yards on 25 carries. “There were quite a few mistakes on both ends but we pulled it out.”

Of the eight turnovers, the most costly was Marshwood’s first. On the second play, quarterback Cole McDaniel (5 of 15, 72 yards) threw a high pass that tight end Holden Jackman tipped and was snagged by safety Justin Wiggins (two interceptions).

Kennebunk cashed in on fourth down. Wiggins used a subtle push in the back of a defender to create space and snare a 20-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Tripp Bush (5 of 12, 42 yards).

Marshwood fumbled on its next play. Kennebunk didn’t score off that turnover – Tripp threw the first of his three interceptions – but the entire first quarter was played in Marshwood territory.

The Rams did cash in after Littlefield busted a 39-yard run to the 1. Saunders scored on the next play to give Kennebunk a 13-0 lead.

Marshwood’s only sustained drive came in the second quarter and ended with a 9-yard pass from McDaniel to Kyle Glidden for the score, cutting the lead to 13-7.

In the second half, Marshwood’s deepest penetration was to the Kennebunk 33, but the drive stalled on a fourth-down incompletion. The Rams’ front was consistently able to put pressure on McDaniel, hold up on the perimeter and slow the Hawks’ inside runs.

“They outplayed us up front. I don’t think there’s any doubt about that,” said Marshwood Coach Alex Rotsko.

“Then you throw the turnovers on top of that, it’s a pretty tough situation to score and come back and win a game.”

Kennebunk, which gained 317 yards, got inside the red zone four times after the Glidden touchdown and came away with zero points.

“It was ugly. We left too many points on the board offensively,” Rafferty said.

“Our defense played out of their minds. I just think they played outstanding.”