The doors on the special management unit at the Riverview Psychiatric Center are apparently no match for Charles D. Miles.

Miles, 38, who has spent most of his adult years in the forensic side of the state psychiatric hospital or in prison, is accused of damaging security doors at the hospital on Oct. 24. Miles made an initial appearance Monday at the Capital Judicial Center to face a charge of aggravated criminal mischief.

Miles, who had been held in the Kennebec County jail, entered no plea to the charge because it would have to go first to a grand jury, and a judge ordered personal recognizance bail that allows a “bed-to-bed transfer” to another institution.

In an affidavit, Capitol Police Sgt. Steven Trahan says a video shows Miles leaving his room in the special care unit and using a door handle taken from another patient’s room to pry open the secured doors separating the secure unit from the main unit.

“The doors did not open, and he leaned back and drove his shoulder into the door and they sprung open,” Trahan wrote.

Trahan said that rendered the magnetic doors inoperable, and the hospital’s facilities director estimated the cost of replacing the doors at $10,000.

Five hours later, the video shows Miles grabbing a food tray, going through an employee-only door and throwing food around the unit and then throwing the tray, apparently hitting a staff member, Trahan wrote.

Trahan said Dr. William Nelson, a psychiatrist at Riverview, interviewed Miles and indicated he found “no evidence of psychotic process that is interfering with his thinking.”

Nelson said Miles wants to be released from the hospital and believes it is unfair that he remains there, and he particularly dislikes being on the special care unit, where he is under close observation.

Miles was found not criminally responsible for a 1999 fire that destroyed the Skowhegan State Fairgrounds. He later was convicted of damaging Riverview property and terrorizing staff members by threatening to kill a person there.

In May, Miles won a judge’s permission to move to a group home once he finished serving his most recent prison term. It was unclear from the court file whether Miles ever was able to do so.

Miles previously was sentenced to 96 months in federal prison for mailing threatening letters to former President Bill Clinton in the early 2000s, and he also reportedly had sent threatening letters to other state and federal officials.