FALMOUTH — Not again. That’s what Lewiston Coach Jamie Belleau was thinking late in Saturday’s boys’ hockey game against Falmouth inside a packed Family Ice Center.

After watching a 3-0 lead slip away, the Blue Devils nearly suffered their second loss to Falmouth in six days. Brendan Hickey and Robbie Armitage combined for four straight goals, with Armitage recording two short-handed goals just 57 seconds apart to put the Yachtsmen up 4-3 with 5:53 remaining.

That prompted Belleau to call a timeout.

“We have to relax,” Belleau said of his message to his squad. “There’s still a lot of game left. We’re a good team and we’ll figure this out.”

On Monday, Falmouth scored three unanswered goals to hand the reigning Class A state champions their first loss of the season, 3-2. This time, though, Lewiston had the final say, scoring two goals in the final five minutes to earn a 5-4 win.

“We battled back – that’s what’s most important,” said Lewiston’s Alex Rivet, who had two goals and an assist. “That’s a playoff atmosphere game.”

Falmouth fell to 7-2-1, finishing a difficult week with its second straight loss. The Yachtsmen fell 2-1 to St. Dominic on Wednesday.

“I think, all in all, it was a valuable week,” Falmouth Coach Deron Barton said. “You lose some games but you gain maturity in the process.”

Lewiston (10-1) came out like a team with something to prove, scoring three goals in the first period. Rivet put the Blue Devils on the board at 3:47, assisted by Sam Frechette. Rancourt made it 2-0 just 15 seconds later, with an assist from Jack LeBlond, and Rivet scored on a power play at 11:04, with a shot that sailed through traffic after a pass from Rancourt.

Brendan Hickey started Falmouth’s comeback just 23 seconds later, sending a shot into the top right corner. Reece Armitage assisted on the goal.

The Yachtsmen had four power plays in the second period and fired off 10 shots, but goalie Jacob Strout helped the Blue Devils sustain their two-goal lead.

Two minutes into the third, though, Hickey put in a rebound, with assists going to Robbie Armitage and Marcus Cady. Then, with Hickey serving a five-minute major, Robbie Armitage scored two short-handed, unassisted goals, and Falmouth suddenly had a 4-3 lead.

“His game gets elevated when a situation presents itself like that,” Barton said. “That’s the type of player he is.”

But Lewiston eventually capitalized on Falmouth’s penalties. With the Blue Devils on a five-on-three advantage, Cody Doyon tied the game with 4:29 left, assisted by Cole Ouellette. Lewiston still had a man advantage when Joe Bisson scored the winner 25 seconds later, assisted by Rancourt and Rivet.

Strout finished with 24 saves, while Spencer Pierce had 26 saves for Falmouth.

“It’s disappointing we gave them those two plays,” Belleau said of Robbie Armitage’s goals, “but the fact that (we) came back and responded the right way is good.”

Barton lit up at the prospect of a third meeting between these teams, which would be in the state final.

“That’s what high school hockey is all about,” said Barton. “Put 5,000 fans in the Colisee, drop the puck and let’s have fun.”

Taylor Vortherms can be contacted at 791-6417 or:

[email protected]

Twitter: TaylorVortherms