Phillip Tarling had two goals, including the overtime winner, to lead Cape Elizabeth to a 4-3 win over Yarmouth in a Class B boys’ hockey game Thursday night at Troubh Arena.

Tarling delivered the winner with traffic in front of the net just 31 seconds into overtime.

“We just lost in overtime (Saturday to Cheverus) so we knew we had to come out fast and get a quick one,” said Tarling. “We went out and worked hard …somehow it went in.”

Cape Elizabeth (8-4) was without starting goalie Peter Haber, who was sick.

“We thought (Haber) was going to be able to go, then about two minutes before the game he (became too sick),” said Cape Coach Matt Buotte.

Garrett Mello took the start instead and came through with 17 saves.


“We knew we could count on (Mello). He works just as hard as anybody at practice,” said Buotte.

Mello made his biggest save with two seconds remaining in regulation, a dive to his right to stop an open shot by Chris Romano.

“I don’t know how many saves (Mello) made today but what can you say? Wow,” said Buotte.

Cooper May led Yarmouth (6-6-1) with two goals and an assist.

May recorded his first goal after just 49 seconds, taking a pass in front from Bennett Travers. May deked his way around Mello and fired from the left side.

May added his second goal midway through the first period on a five-on-three power play, giving the Clippers a 2-0 lead.


Cape Elizabeth answered with 3:16 remaining in the first period on a nice give-and-go between Alex Glidden and Ben Ekedahl.

On a two-on-one in the neutral zone, Glidden dished to Ekedahl, drawing the defender. Ekedahl hit Glidden in stride as Glidden skated up the ice, leading to a breakaway.

Glidden delivered with the Capers’ first goal.

The Capers made it 2-2 with just under one minute left in the first on the first goal by Tarling.

“We got down early and I knew we were going to make it a long night for (Yarmouth) regardless if we won the game or not,” said Buotte.

The Clippers regained the lead with 4:35 left in the second period on a Bill Jacobs goal.


“We rebounded pretty well (after losing the lead). We picked up the energy and kept battling hard,” said Yarmouth Coach David St. Pierre.

The lead was short-lived. Glidden made it 3-3 just 48 seconds later.

“There’s one thing you can control once the puck drops. You can’t control what the opponent does, you can’t control the referees, you can’t control the crowd. You can control your heart, your hustle, and I’m so proud of my guys,” said Buotte.

Yarmouth fell to 5-2 on the road this season and has to play its next game at Gardiner, which is the top-ranked team in Class B South.

Cape Elizabeth has won seven of its last eight games and will next play at winless Maranacook. The Capers defeated Maranacook 11-0 earlier this season.

“We’re only as good as our next game. This game is all fine and great, it’s a good win. But if we turn around and lose our next one, what does it matter? We want to keep building on this,” said Buotte.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.