The Falmouth boys’ basketball team relied on its youth Wednesday night to defeat Cape Elizabeth 43-38 in a Class A South semifinal at the Cross Insurance Arena.

After losing senior guard Colin Coyne to a season-ending injury, Mike Simonds and Sam Manganello – a freshman and a sophomore – stepped up, both scoring 12 points for the second-seeded Yachtsmen (15-5).

Falmouth will play top-ranked Greely – which won both of their regular-season meetings – in the final at 8 p.m. Saturday at the CIA.

“Colin going down definitely hurt us, so I had to step up and try to help my team,” Simonds said. “We can play through anything.”

Andrew Hartel led third-seeded Cape Elizabeth (12-8) with 11 points and 11 rebounds. Jacob Allen contributed 10 points.

“They amped it up and we didn’t,” Capers Coach Jim Ray said. “We didn’t string enough together.”

Coyne – a four-year starter who Falmouth Coach Dave Halligan called the team’s “heart and soul” – suffered a broken leg two minutes into the game. He limped off the court into the locker room before heading to a hospital.

“It was just a freak thing, just unfortunate circumstances,” Halligan said. “We just had to play together as a team.”

Sean Walsh – a senior captain who scored 11 points for the Yachtsmen – said Simonds and Manganello “really stepped up.”

“They’ve been really good since they were young,” Walsh said, “and they really proved that today.”

Hartel opened the scoring with a free throw, which Allen followed with a steal and a layup to give the Capers a 3-0 lead. Ben Simonds – Mike Simonds’ older brother – put Falmouth on the board with a layup. After another Hartel basket, Jack Bryant made it 5-5 halfway through the opening period with a three-point play.

Mike Simonds put the Yachtsmen up 7-5 for their first lead, but the Capers ended the period on top, 9-7.

It wouldn’t last long. Falmouth opened the second quarter with three 3-pointers for nine unanswered points – with Mike Simonds hitting two and Walsh contributing one. The Yachtsmen outscored Cape Elizabeth 15-5 in the period to enter halftime up 22-14.

A minute a half into the second half, Cape Elizabeth kicked off an eight-point scoring run capped by an Allen layup and 3-pointer that made it 22-22.

Manganello scored twice for the Yachtsmen – their only four points that quarter – before the Capers put up another three points to cut Falmouth’s lead to 26-25 entering the final period.

In the first minute and a half of the fourth quarter, Hartel and Quinn Hewitt scored on layups to give Cape Elizabeth its first lead of the half at 29-26. Manganello made two free throws to pull Falmouth within a point.

After a Hartel jumper for the Capers and a Bryant free throw for the Yachtsmen, Manganello made it 31-31 with a layup.

With 4:31 left, he added a free throw that gave the Yachtsmen the lead for good.

Taylor Vortherms can be contacted at 791-6417 or

[email protected]

Twitter: TaylorVortherms

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: