A Wayne couple lost their home after a fire that broke out just after 6 p.m. Friday spread from the garage to the attached house.

No one was injured in the blaze, Assistant Fire Chief Jim Welch said Saturday.

The homeowners, Stan and Jane Davis, spent the night with friends, Welch said.

He said they were home at 409 North Wayne Road when the fire started.

“My understanding is they heard a loud sound, a popping sound,” he said, and saw the flames.

The call came in about 6:05 p.m. Friday.

Welch said Wayne Fire Chief Bruce Mercier was the first to arrive and Welch was second, and by then flames were shooting from first- and second-story windows.

“It’s really depressing when we arrive and the fire’s consumed most of the building,” Welch said.

“The fire moved very fast due to the construction, which was apparently mostly wood.”

Firefighters were at the scene until after 11 p.m. and checked back periodically though the night.

“When we left last night, the roof collapsed in on itself,” he said, but hot spots remained.

They located an excavator Saturday morning to help put out any remaining hot pots.

Welch said the Office of State Fire Marshal was called, but the cause of the blaze did not appear to be suspicious.

“There is no indication of anything of that sort,” he said.

Firefighters from Fayette, Manchester, Mount Vernon, Readfield, Vienna and Winthrop assisted, as did Winthrop Ambulance.

Betty Adams can be contacted at 621-5631or at:

[email protected]

Twitter: betadams