Even as they continue to weigh what to do with starting quarterback Ryan Tannehill and his injured left knee, the Miami Dolphins are already reaching out to multiple veteran quarterback options, with former Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler being prominent among those.

Coach Adam Gase has been in contact with Cutler personally the past two days as the two men have worked on rekindling a relationship that helped Cutler throw 25 touchdowns against 11 interceptions in 2015 when he was the starting QB for Chicago and Gase was the offensive coordinator.

That year helped both men because it rehabilitated Cutler’s diminishing career and reputation, and it also sealed Gase’s reputation as something of a quarterback guru after he had success with Peyton Manning as well as Cutler.

Cutler last year was injury riddled much of the season – he had a hand injury and a labrum injury – and threw four touchdowns and five interceptions in five games. Gase had already moved on to be the Dolphins coach.

Cutler was released by Chicago on March 9 and then found no suitable opportunity to sign with another team. He instead agreed to join Fox Sports as an analyst.

Although Cutler, 34, seems to be a leading candidate to join the Dolphins, there are obstacles to overcome.

First, the Dolphins want to have a definitive plan for Tannehill. He is expected to miss at least six weeks after a recurrence of the knee injury that sidelined him late last season, but there is a chance he can play again in 2017 if he avoids surgery. That decision is not yet made.

“Everything is on the table right now,” Gase said. “We are going to talk to a lot of people.”

That means the Dolphins are going to also talk to people about possibly filling Tannehill’s spot. Cutler is not the only quarterback under consideration.

But with Cutler, they have to come to an understanding about the former player’s expectations.

Will Cutler put his broadcast career on hold? One industry source said he would.

Will Cutler expect to be the Dolphins starter? Or compete for the starting job with Matt Moore? Or would he be content as a backup? Either of the first two would be his likely choice.

Would the Dolphins be willing to, at minimum, open the quarterback job to competition between Cutler and Moore?

It is clear the Dolphins don’t necessarily have a concern about how Moore is going to handle this situation if he doesn’t earn the starting job. Even though he helped get the team to the playoffs in 2016, Miami isn’t anointing him the starter in Tannehill’s expected absence.

STEELERS: Coach Mike Tomlin agreed to an extension that will keep the 45-year-old in Pittsburgh through the 2020 season.

Tomlin is 103-57 in 10 years with the Steelers, who have captured one Super Bowl, been to another and earned five AFC North titles during his tenure. He is one of eight coaches to win 100 games in their first 10 seasons.

JETS: The team signed former Houston and Cincinnati defensive lineman Devon Still, whose daughter’s inspiring battle with cancer and subsequent remission made national headlines.

The Jets also claimed wide receiver Bruce Ellington off waivers from the San Francisco 49ers and signed defensive lineman Jeremy Faulk.

CHARGERS: Safety Darrell Stuckey was released after a failed physical.

Stuckey, 30, was entering his eighth NFL season with the Chargers.

BROWNS: The three-way quarterback competition among Cody Kessler, rookie DeShone Kizer and Brock Osweiler resumed.

Kessler, who started eight games last season as a rookie, has taken most of the snaps with Cleveland’s starting offense in camp and remains the presumptive favorite to start the season against Pittsburgh.

However, Kizer, the second-round pick from Notre Dame, has closed the gap with some big plays in camp.

Coach Hue Jackson would ideally like to name his starter before an exhibition opener against New Orleans next week.

RAVENS: Former Raiders offensive tackle Austin Howard signed a three-year contract.

The 6-foot-7, 333-pounder played in 11 games last year.