FALMOUTH — Putting up lots of points usually isn’t a problem for the Falmouth football team, which averages nearly 38 points per game.

Friday night against rival Greely, Falmouth’s offense got some help from its defense and special teams.

Riley Reed returned an interception for a touchdown, Garret Aube returned a kickoff 70 yards for one of his two TDs, and John Walker made his first field goal of the season and was 5 for 5 on extra points as the Yachtsmen ended their regular season on a high note with a 38-0 win in a Class B South game.

“It was great balance for us tonight, which is great to see going into the playoffs,” Falmouth Coach John Fitzsimmons said. “While we weren’t moving the ball as well because Greely was effectively stopping us, our defense came alive. From an interception to a kickoff (return), that momentum really carried us forward.”

Jack Bryant was 10 of 16 for 113 yards and a touchdown and also rushed for a TD for the Yachtsmen (6-2), who will host a quarterfinal next weekend against Westbrook as the No. 3 seed.

For Greely (5-3), Nick Male was 5 of 16 for 102 yards. The Rangers suffered a key loss in the third quarter when wide receiver Shane DeWolfe was carted off the field with an injury. Greely also played without wide receiver Nick Gauvin and running back Tim Coyle.

The Rangers had a five-game winning streak snapped but will still be at home for the first round of the playoffs as the No. 4 seed, against No. 5 Biddeford.

Falmouth’s offense got off to a slow start, failing to make a first down in the opening quarter. But the Yachtsmen took the lead midway through the quarter when Reed intercepted a pass and returned it 40 yards for a touchdown.

“I was just rolling out into the flats, they sent two guys out, threw the ball, and the guy wasn’t looking,” Reed said.

“I think that gave our team a lot of momentum.”

“That was really the play of the game,” Bryant said. “Our defense did a great job all night, held them up on the run, forced them to throw and made some plays in the secondary.”

Falmouth’s offense finally got rolling in the second quarter. Bryant directed an 82-yard drive, rushing for 33 yards and three first downs before connecting with Brady Douglas in the corner of the end zone for a 31-yard touchdown.

“That was a collegiate-level throw,” Fitzsimmons said. “He was under heavy pressure, he was maneuvering, and then he throws it on a dime to somebody.”

Walker kicked a 26-yard field goal with 29.2 seconds left in the half to give Falmouth a 17-0 lead.

Aube then opened the second half with a 70-yard touchdown return.

“My teammates blocked well,” Aube said. “When you see the hole, you go.”

A penalty negated another Bryant-to-Douglas touchdown pass, but Bryant soon scored on a 1-yard run.

Aube added a 17-yard rushing touchdown in the fourth quarter.

Greely nearly got on the board in the final minutes after Falmouth failed to convert on a fake punt, but the Rangers couldn’t get into the end zone before time expired.

“With a small squad and a few stars being out, Greely played a terrific game,” Fitzsimmons said. “If some of those players were in the game, it could have been a different outcome.”

Taylor Vortherms can be contacted at 791-6417 or:

[email protected]

Twitter: TaylorVortherms

filed under: