NEW YORK — The Associated Press has obtained a letter sent by the NFL to Jerry Jones’ attorney accusing the Dallas Cowboys owner of “conduct detrimental to the league’s best interests” over his objection to a contract extension for Commissioner Roger Goodell.

The letter accusing Jones of sabotaging the negotiations was sent to David Boies on Wednesday. Jones hired Boies and threatened to sue the NFL if Goodell’s contract extension was approved by the compensation committee, made up of six owners. All 32 owners voted unanimously in May to let the committee finalize a deal with Goodell.

The letter, first reported by The Wall Street Journal, was written by outside counsel for the compensation committee and given to the AP by a person who requested anonymity because it was not intended to be made public.

It’s the latest escalation of a feud between the NFL and one of its most powerful owners. Jones has denied that his objections to the extension are tied to Goodell’s decision to suspend star running back Ezekiel Elliott for six games over alleged domestic violence.

Elliott abandoned his legal fight over the suspension Wednesday. He has five games left to serve.

“Your client’s antics, whatever their motivation, are damaging the league and reflect conduct detrimental to the league’s best interests,” the letter said.

Jones has said he has issues with compensation in the deal, along with concerns about the escalation of player protests involving the national anthem and how the league has handled them. He also has suggested that owners should revisit the power that the position wields.

The letter confirmed that Jones was removed as a non-voting member of the compensation committee after threatening to sue.

Jones, who was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in August, was accused of sharing with all the owners an outdated document related to the negotiations with Goodell.

BILLS: Tyrod Taylor has been benched and Buffalo is going with rookie quarterback Nathan Peterman to start against the Los Angeles Chargers on Sunday.

Coach Sean McDermott said he remains confident in Taylor, but decided to make the move to see if Peterman can make Buffalo a better team.

The decision comes after Taylor struggled against the Saints, going 9 of 15 for 56 yards and an interception.

Peterman took over and went 7 of 19 for 79 yards and a touchdown over the final two drives.

CHARGERS: Coach Anthony Lynn is optimistic that quarterback Philip Rivers will play Sunday against Buffalo.

Rivers reported symptoms of a possible concussion Monday, but he participated in certain parts of a non-padded practice Wednesday.

The veteran was hurt during an overtime loss in Jacksonville on Sunday. He has started 194 consecutive games for the Chargers since 2006, racking up the fourth-longest streak of consecutive starts by a quarterback in NFL history.

If Rivers can’t play, Kellen Clemens is expected to make his first NFL start since 2013.

VIKINGS: Coach Mike Zimmer announced that Case Keenum will start Sunday’s pivotal game against the Los Angeles Rams, putting Teddy Bridgewater’s 2017 debut on hold for now.

Bridgewater will enter the game as the backup, just as he did last week against Washington.

Keenum passed for 304 yards and four touchdowns in the 38-30 victory, but he also threw two fourth-quarter interceptions.

Zimmer said on Monday that he has a plan for Bridgewater.