BIDDEFORD — While the first period of Wednesday night’s game between the Biddeford and Falmouth boys’ hockey teams was pretty uneventful, the rest of the night was anything but.

After almost 20 scoreless minutes at Biddeford Ice Arena, momentum in the second period rapidly shifted back and forth as the Tigers and Yachtsmen totaled five goals and switched leads three times before heading into the final period of regulation. Down 3-2, Biddeford scored 23 seconds into the third and then 20 seconds into overtime for a 4-3 victory.

Logan Magnant scored the winner for Biddeford (6-3), putting away a Nick McSorley rebound.

“The first period, we were flat and knew we had to pick it up,” Magnant said. “It just feels really good to sweep them. We couldn’t ask for anything more than that.”

The win was Biddeford’s second over the Yachtsmen (5-4-1) this season, following a 4-2 victory on Dec. 27. The Tigers didn’t beat Falmouth last season.

“He got the game puck tonight. He has just been playing great this year,” Biddeford Coach Jason Tremblay said of Magnant. “It was just a great hockey game. Both teams just came out with tenacity tonight – it was like a playoff hockey game. This is what keeps kids playing Maine hockey.”

The teams proved to be evenly matched, with Biddeford enjoying a slight edge in shots (29-28). Goalkeeper Owen Sullivan finished with 26 saves for the Tigers while Sam Kidder, a freshman, had 24 for the Yachtsmen.

Tyler Baker started the scoring for Falmouth off a rebound 4:33 into the second period, assisted by Brendan Hickey and Theo Hembre.

With 3:55 left in the period, Liam Turner fed the puck to Colin Petit, who wove through the Yachtsmen and took a shot from out high that flew to the right of Kidder for Biddeford’s first goal.

Thirty-three seconds later, Trevor Ouellette scored from Magnant for the tiebreaker. Ouellette nearly cushioned that lead with two minutes remaining, firing off a shot from close range, but Kidder snagged the puck aimed for the top left corner of the goal.

Almost as quickly as the Tigers took the lead, they lost it in the final minutes of the second.

With 1:15 remaining, Marcus Cady scored from Sam Larlee and Jack Kidder before Garrett Tracy notched an unassisted goal with 37.4 seconds left.

Up 3-2 entering the final period of regulation, Falmouth wouldn’t score again despite enjoying a 13-8 advantage in shots in the third.

Trenton Ouellette tied the score for Biddeford 23 seconds into the third with an unassisted goal, and Sullivan kept the Yachtsmen from snatching back momentum. With 8:30 left, Sullivan caught three hard shots on goal in a row.

“He owned the third goal, said it was his,” Tremblay said of Sullivan. “I said, ‘Don’t worry about it, we’ll get one back. Just hold us to three and we’re going to come out with a victory.’ He did his job.”

And Magnant did his to give the Tigers their third straight win.

Taylor Vortherms can be contacted at 791-6417 or

[email protected]

Twitter: TaylorVortherms

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.