The first official spring training workout for the Boston Red Sox is Feb. 14, less than a month away, and they are still without the ferocious hitter they’ve been seeking since their season ended Oct. 9.

While some big names have exchanged uniforms with notable trades that continue to take place, free agency hardly has moved this winter, with the majority of the best available players still on the market.

Speaking on MLB Network Radio, Red Sox president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski said this offseason has been unlike any other.

“Of course I’m surprised,” he said. “I’ve never seen a market go this slow, really. Normally you get to this time period and your club is pretty well set.

“In this case, ourselves and the majority of organizations have moves they’re still discussing trade-wise and free agency-wise. It’s such a late-moving year. I’m not sure why that is. We’ve seen a couple trades and free-agent signings over the last few days, so hopefully that picks up the tempo and we start moving from there.”

Why haven’t the Red Sox been too involved, other than to re-sign free-agent first baseman Mitch Moreland? Dombrowski said it’s because they didn’t have many “gaping holes to fill.”

And if they don’t make another move this winter, he’s fine with the roster the way it is.

“Sure, we won 93 games last year,” he said. “I think people forget that, because of course we got eliminated in the postseason, the first round for us. But we did win 93 games.

“So yeah, we would be content. Would we rather (add a hitter)? Yes. But again, we have to be flexible in our thought processes because you never know what is going to take place.”

Free-agent outfielder J.D. Martinez, who hit .303 with 45 home runs for the Tigers and Diamondbacks last year, is thought to be the focus for the Red Sox, who could make him the designated hitter while giving him some time in the outfield to help the regulars stay fresh.

According to an ESPN report Wednesday, the Red Sox have offered Martinez a five-year, $100 million contract, but Martinez is rumored to be seeking a seven-year deal.

Dombrowski wouldn’t speak specifically about Martinez, a Scott Boras client, though he did say that many of the rumors often are accurate.

It sounded as if he’s also considering a backup plan.

“We had different alternatives at first base,” Dombrowski said. “We like Mitch, what he did, and we explored some of those alternatives. But we thought it was time to move on at that point. We’re very happy to have him back and get a good, a real good player who knows how to win. A championship-type player.

“And I think you have to have those thought processes when you’re dealing like we are right now.”

Dombrowski emphasized that the Red Sox need their own players to improve, and specifically mentioned feeling optimistic about Xander Bogaerts and Hanley Ramirez, who he said are now healthy; David Price, who he said is throwing well; and infielders Marco Hernandez and Brock Holt, who he thinks can fill the void at second base until Dustin Pedroia comes back.

NESN broadcaster Jerry Remy announced he is finished with chemotherapy and radiation to treat his lung cancer, which returned in June and required surgery to have a piece of his lung removed. He plans to be in Fort Myers for spring training after he regains his strength.

CUBS: Chicago bolstered its revamped bullpen, bringing back Brian Duensing with a $7 million, two-year contract.

The left-hander went 1-1 with a 2.74 ERA in 68 appearances last season.