A Cumberland man was badly burned on his hands in a basement fire at a single-family home on Orchard Road early Saturday morning

Cumberland Fire Chief Dan Small said the fire started near a chimney area in the basement at about 2:30 a.m. The man was injured as he tried to throw burning material outside. The other occupant of the home was not hurt, Small said.

The man was taken to Maine Medical Center for treatment of the non-life threatening injuries, Small said.

Small said the cold temperatures made it difficult for the 30 firefighters at the scene to extinguish the fire.

The department left the scene at about 5:30 a.m.