BRUNSWICK — It was a rematch that wasn’t really a rematch. Yet the outcome was the same Monday night.

As it did in the Class A boys’ lacrosse state final last June, Brunswick defeated Scarborough, though this time it wasn’t in overtime. The score was 16-8 and instead of a celebration afterward, the teams were figuring out how to improve over the course of a long season.

“Both sides graduated a lot of players from that game so there wasn’t much of a rematch feel to it,” said Brunswick Coach Don Glover. “However they’re a good team and we knew we had to be up for the game and as always play our best.”

The Dragons (2-0) scored the first three goals, Aiden Glover getting the first and third, and assisting Nolan Lyne on the second.

“We know they’re a good team so it was important for us to come out and score early,” said Aiden Glover. “We just had to go out there and play the type of game we’re capable of playing.”

After a Nate Girardin goal for Brunswick, Glover scored again with 47 seconds remaining in the first period.

Scarborough (1-1) finally countered with 9:03 left in the half when Andrew Cusson found Nathan Taggart in front, but Glover’s fourth goal of the game made it 6-1.

“They’re a well-coached team, Don does a great job with that program,” said Scarborough Coach Zach Barrett. “They position well and seem to be in the right spots when they need to be.”

Following another Glover goal, the Red Storm got goals from Tommy Stratis and Andrew Granzier to make it 7-3.

Max Gramins of the Dragons made it 8-3 at halftime.

Scarborough came out in the third quarter with more intensity and it paid off when Granzier scored three straight in 3:34, pulling the Red Storm within 8-6.

“We knew we were better than we played in the first half,” said Granzier. “I knew I had to do something to make something happen for our offense.”

“Granzier’s a great player. We knew what he was capable of,” said Aiden Glover.

Each team traded a pair of goals before Gamins stopped all momentum Scarborough may have gained, scoring the final two goals of the third quarter, extending Brunswick’s lead to 12-8.

“We can play with anyone,” said Barrett, the Scarborough coach. “We just need to find a way to play consistent for 12 minutes, four quarters.”

Brunswick scored two early fourth-quarter goals, by Glover and Girardin, and the defense held Scarborough scoreless the rest of the way.

“We’re still finding ourselves,” said Barrett. “We’re young but we showed a lot tonight.”