CUMBERLAND — On a day where hits and runs were nearly impossible to come by, Cape Elizabeth resorted to unorthodox means to end a marathon baseball thriller Monday against Greely at Twin Brook Recreation Center.

In a rematch of last year’s Cape victory in a Class B South quarterfinal, the teams were tied in the 13th inning before a catcher’s interference call set the stage for Cape Elizabeth to take the lead on an error, then push across another run on a squeeze en route to a 4-1 victory.

“It was an unreal game to be a part of,” said Cape Elizabeth Coach Andy Wood. “We’re extremely fortunate to come out with a win.”

Greely starter Will Neleski was perfect through three innings and Capers starter Sean Agrodnia kept the Rangers scoreless as well, thanks to a terrific leaping catch by shortstop Finn Bowe and a throw from center fielder Jameson Bakke to nail a runner at the plate.

Cape Elizabeth (2-0) broke through in the sixth when Val Murphy was hit by a pitch, moved to second on a sacrifice, to third on a groundout and, after Brendan Tinsman, the Capers’ Wake Forest-bound catcher, was walked intentionally, Agrodnia beat out an infield single for Cape’s first hit, scoring Murphy.

Greely (0-1) answered in the bottom half when Luke Miller singled, Neleski doubled to center and, with one out, Eben Kiesow delivered an RBI single. Agrodnia was replaced by Carson Sullivan, who escaped the jam.

Neleski and Sullivan kept the game 1-1 through eight innings and while Sullivan continued to hold the Rangers in check, Kiesow came on for Greely in the ninth and kept the game tied through 12 innings.

Finally, in the top of the 13th, the Capers struck.

Murphy led off with a single and was sacrificed to second. Bowe appeared to pop up for the second out but on the swing, Greely catcher Aiden Smith was called for interference, allowing Bowe to reach safely. Tinsman was again walked intentionally to load the bases before Agrodnia hit a slow grounder to shortstop Nick Butler, who threw home.

But the throw bounced away and not only did Murphy score, but Bowe came in as well.

Sullivan then squeezed home Tinsman to make it 4-1.

“Coach talked to me really quick and just told me to do a squeeze,” Sullivan said.

Sullivan set Greely down in order in the bottom of the inning and after nearly three hours, the game came to a close.

“It was a long one for sure, but it was really special,” Murphy said. “We got a little fatigued but I have to tip my cap to our pitchers and our defense.”

Miller and Neleski had three hits apiece, and Kiesow suffered the loss in Greely’s opener, but longtime Rangers coach Derek Soule was encouraged by his team’s effort.

“We should have scored more runs with the opportunities we had, but for the first game after not having much of a preseason, I’m really encouraged with our competitiveness, especially having so many new varsity guys,” Soule said. “We just didn’t cash in.”