BATH — In a game between two early season undefeated boys’ lacrosse teams Thursday, Mt. Ararat and Morse stayed within two goals of each other before Mt. Ararat emerged with a 7-6 victory.

“We knew we had to come into this game and control the tempo,” said Mt. Ararat Coach Matt Haskell. “We focus on ball movement, looking for the right opportunity.”

Just 19 seconds into the game, Sheamus Mann scored for Morse.

“We look to win those faceoffs so we can be aggressive early,” said Morse Coach Jay Paulus. “It’s something we work hard on.”

Minutes later, Matt Lawrence of Mt. Ararat (3-0) scored from Zach Caouette to tie it. Connor Brown followed 30 seconds later to put the Eagles ahead.

Morse (2-1) regained the lead, scoring the next two goals on three shots.

But Jacob Sargent of Mt. Ararat intercepted a pass and sprinted up the field. Seventy yards later, he sent a shot past keeper Dylan Maybee to tie it with 48 seconds remaining in the first quarter.

The teams traded goals early in the second quarter. With under six minutes left in the half, Hayden Libby of Mt. Ararat received a pass and carried it a few yards before passing it to Lawrence, who tapped it to Brown and gave Mt. Ararat a 5-4 lead.

“We work on our passing, looking for the right cut,” said Brown. “We like to set up our offense and find their weaknesses.”

Jacob Brochu found Wyatt Hudson for Morse’s next goal to make it 5-5 at halftime.

Coming off an overtime victory over Westbrook early in the week, the Morse players were familiar with close scores.

“We played close to Westbrook last game,” said Maybee. “We learned a lot from that game and hoped to carry that into today’s game.”

Mt. Ararat opened the second half looking to set its offense up around the net.

While Brown set up on the X, Morse’s defense stayed back, not taking the bait and defending the player, letting time roll off the clock.

“We’re inexperienced in some spots so we’re looking to cut down on them making offensive plays or moves, exposing us,” said Paulus.

Sean Roberts sent a shot past Maybee with under five minutes left in the third period to give the Eagles a 6-5 lead.

Less than a minute later, Brown scored his third goal of the game to give the Eagles their first two-goal lead, 7-5.

With just over seven minutes remaining, Hudson scored his second goal of the game to bring the Shipbuilders within 7-6.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.