Of Abenaki origin
“Kennebunk means ‘long cut bank,’ probably in reference to Great Hill at the mouth of the Mousam River … an important landmark to native Americans … in their ocean-going canoes.” (Historian Joyce Butler, 1996; kennebunkmaine.us)
1,000 pounds
Approximate weight of the collection at the nonprofit Sea Glass Center. See the donated treasure at The Deep Blue, 8 Western Ave. (theseaglasscenter.org)
Pooches at Gooch’s
The annual summer-kickoff, biscuit-breakfast event hosted by the Dog Advisory Committee will be held at the beach from 7-9 a.m. on Saturday, June 16.
More than 3,400 acres …
of forest, fields and waters have been preserved by the Kennebunk Land Trust. (kennebunklandtrust.org)
The Lafayette Elm
Named for the Marquis de Lafayette, who visited in 1825. The magnificent tree was lost to Dutch Elm disease in 1971, but it lives on – see the official town seal. (mainememory.net)
Growing since 1936
The Brick Store Museum, founded by artist Edith Cleaves Barry, “houses close to 70,000 artifacts and archival materials.” (www.brickstoremuseum.org)
Dipsy Bath Beach
A former name of sandy Mothers’ Beach, known for its family-friendliness, with a playground, tidal pools and lifeguards. (wikipedia.org)
In 1929
Best-selling author Kenneth Roberts, who was born in Kennebunk in 1885, published his first novel, “Arundel.” (wikipedia.org)
Cool as a goose
The (plastic) Town Hall Goose usually wears seasonally appropriate small-dog outfits supplied by townspeople. She is in ladybug garb at the time of writing.
‘Nearly 800 volumes’
The contents of the town’s two circulating libraries in 1886. There were then 14 public schoolhouses. (“History of Kennebunk, Maine,” by George J. Varney)
On the Market in and around Kennebunk