LEWISTON — Shots were fired in downtown Lewiston on Friday evening, sending police scrambling to Horton Street where spent shells were found in the street.

Witnesses said between six and 12 shots rang out at about 6:30 p.m. followed by screams and the sound of rounds striking metal.

“There was one shot, a pause and then several more shots,” said a man named Mark, who had been staying in the area during a trip from Pittsburgh. “I heard a metallic ping, so I know something was hit. I heard someone yelling for people to get down or to get away from the area.”

Other witnesses reported hearing the gunfire and seeing three people running between apartment houses and climbing a fence between Horton and Howe streets.

Police said late Friday night that no injuries had been reported.

One woman said she heard a series of shots and spotted someone in a white ball cap running from the area. Another woman was driving through with her husband and heard as many as a dozen shots.


“We were driving through the other side of Howe and heard very loud pops and saw people running,” she said. “Was very frightening.”

Several spent shells were found in a driveway behind The Washtub launderette at Horton and Walnut streets. Police quickly cordoned off that area and taped off a section of Horton Street between Walnut and Birch streets.

It was not immediately known whether anyone was struck by gunfire. Police remained at the scene later Friday night collecting evidence and speaking with witnesses.

The gunfire, the latest of several incidents over the spring and summer, brought dozens of onlookers to the area. Several said they had heard the shots, with one man reporting that up to 10 had been fired.

“I was driving up Walnut Street, and as I turned onto Horton by The Washtub, I heard five loud bangs,” he said. “I thought they were firecrackers, but just as I thought they were too equally spaced for firecrackers, I heard five more equally spaced reports.”

Police brought their mobile command vehicle to the area as the investigation continued Friday night. Agents from the Central Maine Vilent Crimes Task Force had joined the probe.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Lewiston Police Detective Ryan Rawstron at 513-3001 extension 3321.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: