Sign in or Subscribe See Offers

Sign In:

The Forecaster
Updated August 8, 2018
increase font size Resize Font

South Portland firefighter remembered as versatile leader

SOUTH PORTLAND — Memorial services for veteran firefighter Lt. Harry Weymouth will be held Sunday, Aug. 12.

Weymouth, 46, of Buxton, died at Maine Medical Center in Portland at 4 a.m., Aug. 2, from injuries sustained in an early morning car accident in Hollis.

The longtime firefighter was driving eastbound on Route 202 just before 1 a.m. when he fell asleep and his vehicle crossed the center line, striking an oncoming car, Maine Department of Public Safety spokesman Stephen McCausland said Tuesday.

McCausland said Weymouth was returning from a hospital shift.

The driver of the other car, 45-year-old Zahra Guedi of Portland, and her passenger were taken to Maine Medical Center in Portland with injuries that were non-life threatening, according to police.

Weymouth is survived by his wife Kelly, and their three children.

In an Aug. 2 press conference, Fire Chief James Wilson said the Fire Department will assist Weymouth’s family in any way possible.

Weymouth was a 21-year veteran of the department, where he was a crew leader of Ladder 45 at the Cash Corner Station. He was also a longtime paramedic with the Southern Maine Regional SWAT team, worked as a registered nurse at Southern Maine Health Care in Sanford, and was a 30-year volunteer with the Buxton Fire Department.

Weymouth was remembered by colleagues as a man who led by action, retained a vast wealth of knowledge and was always available to help, whether on or off duty.

He started volunteering with the Buxton team when he was a young teenager. “When he was 15, the Fire Department was everything to Harry,” Wilson said.

He said Weymouth was “an excellent paramedic and mentor to all employees.”

A Buxton ambulance crew was the first to arrive at the scene of the crash, and the first responders who treated Weymouth had been trained by him, Buxton Fire Chief Nathan Schools said in the press conference.

His colleagues described Weymouth as a quiet, intelligent man who led with his actions and by example. He was also skilled with his hands, and liked to farm, according to Wilson, who called Weymouth a true “jack of all trades.”

“This leaves a void for his family, friends and the fire service,” said Wilson, who added Weymouth would want his colleagues to continue to be the best firefighters possible.

The service for Weymouth will be held on Sunday at 3 p.m. at Eastpoint Christian Church, 345 Clarks Pond Parkway. In lieu of flowers, contributions can be made to Evergreen Credit Union for the Weymouth children college fund.

gofundme page has also been set up, with a goal of raising $15,000 for the Weymouth family. As of Aug. 7, $1,600 had been raised. A spaghetti supper is also scheduled for Sept. 1 at the Saco Grange Hall.

Gov. Paul LePage on Wednesday ordered State of Maine flags in South Portland to be flown at half staff from sunrise to sunset Sunday in Weymouth’s honor.

Juliette Laaka can be reached at 781-3661 ext. 106 or at [email protected] Follow her on Twitter @JulietteLaaka

This report was updated Aug. 7.

Lt. Harry Weymouth in 2005 in the workout room shared by South Portland police and firefighters. (Portland Press Herald)

South Portland Fire Chief James Wilson, left, speaks to reporters at a press conference Thursday morning about the death of Lt. Harry Weymouth. With him are Buxton Fire Chief Nathan Schools, Buxton Deputy Fire Chief Jason Grant and South Portland Police Chief Ed Googins. (Juliette Laaka / The Forecaster)

Here at MaineToday Media we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion.

To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use. Click here to flag and report a comment that violates our terms of use.

close x