TOPSHAM — A Bowdoinham man who was free on bail following accusations of threatening to “shoot up” Central Maine Community College was arrested again for violating conditions of his release, according to Two Bridges Regional Jail staff.


Darren Lilly, 23, was arrested after allegedly visiting Target in Topsham, the workplace of one of the people who reported the alleged threats, according to Lilly’s attorney, Verne E. Paradie.

Topsham police arrested Lilly again on Sept. 14. On Monday, he posted a $3,500 bond and was released again, according to jail staff.

Lilly now faces an additional Class C felony charge for violating conditions of release.

Paradie says his client didn’t go to the store with any negative intentions, and that he wasn’t aware that going to the store would be a violation of the conditions of his release.

“He was just shopping,” Paradie said Thursday. “He’s been to Target several times with no problem. If he thought he was violating the conditions he wouldn’t be going there.”

Paradie said officers found a knife in Lilly’s trunk, and that Lilly had forgotten it was there after a recent move.

Paradie has said his client isn’t dangerous and questioned the motives of those who reported him, saying they have “an ax to grind.”

Lilly was first arrested Aug. 13, after police said people who knew Lilly reported that Lilly had threatened to “shoot up” the school, according to a press release. Police seized numerous firearms, including a weapon concealed in an instrument case. He faces a charge of terrorizing with a dangerous weapon — a Class C felony punishable by up to 5 years in prison and a $5,000 fine.

After the initial arrest, Lilly was released on $1,000 unsecured bond, meaning he only had to post a $60 bail commissioner’s fee. That drew concern from the college’s president and the local sheriff.

As a condition of his bail, Lilly was not allowed to possess firearms, nor was he allowed in Auburn. At his first court appearance on Sept. 11, a judge required Lilly to enter a  Maine pre-trial services agreement, allowing for more supervision until his next court date, something common with similar felony charges. The judge also raised Lilly’s bail to $500, which he later paid to secure his release.

This story will be updated.

[email protected]

Comments are not available on this story.

filed under: