ISTANBUL – Saudi Arabia’s public prosecutor said on Thursday that Jamal Khashoggi was killed in a planned operation, citing information it received from Turkish investigators in Istanbul, according to a statement from the kingdom’s Foreign Ministry.

It is the latest reversal by Saudi authorities, who last week said Khashoggi was killed accidentally in a fistfight at the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul by “rogue” agents. President Donald Trump had initially said that explanation was credible, but in recent days expressed doubts, calling it “the worst coverup ever.”

According to the statement, a joint Saudi-Turkish investigative team “indicates that the suspects in the incident had committed their act with a premeditated intention.”

The announcement underscored the rapidly mounting pressures on Saudi Arabia to fully illuminate Khashoggi’s killing, after its previous explanations were contradicted by Turkey and met with skepticism by the United States, a close Saudi ally.

Still, neither Trump nor Saudi Arabia has been willing to implicate Saudi leadership in the journalist’s killing. U.S. intelligence officials and lawmakers as well as the European Union have said that an operation targeting a critic of the royal court in a foreign country is unlikely to have been ordered without the knowledge of senior Saudi officials.

Thursday’s announcement comes days after CIA Director Gina Haspel traveled to Turkey and listened to audio purportedly capturing the journalist’s murder, giving a key member of Trump’s Cabinet access to the central piece of evidence Turkey has used to assert that the killing was planned.

It also came two days after Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan gave a speech calling Khashoggi’s killing “brutal” and “planned” while demanding that the perpetrators be extradited to Turkey.

The Foreign Ministry did not say what led the Saudi prosecutor to draw that conclusion, only that it was based on information shared by Turkish investigators working with Saudi officials in Turkey. According to the statement, the Saudi prosecutor will continue its investigation based on the new information.

Shortly after Khashoggi disappeared on Oct. 2 while retrieving a document at the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul, Turkish authorities said he was the victim of a premeditated killing by 15 Saudi agents sent to Turkey on a mission to permanently silence the journalist, who had been critical of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

Saudi Arabia initially denied any knowledge of Khashoggi’s fate, but last week said it had arrested 18 people and dismissed five senior officials after a preliminary investigation revealed he was killed in a fistfight at the consulate during a botched intelligence operation.

The arrests were accompanied by an announcement that King Salman was placing his son, Mohammed, in charge of restructuring the Saudi intelligence apparatus – a move that all but ended speculation that the crown prince would be sanctioned.

Mohammed has denied any prior knowledge of the of the mission and on Wednesday called the journalist’s killing “a heinous crime.”

In another sign that the kingdom is seeking to contain the widespread fallout, Salah Khashoggi, the eldest son of Jamal Khashoggi, has left Saudi Arabia, two people close to the family said Thursday. The son, a dual U.S.-Saudi citizen who was photographed receiving condolences from Salman and Mohammed on Tuesday, had previously been restricted from leaving.

Salah Khashoggi is headed to the United States to join his three siblings, who are already there, according to one of the people.

The photos of him meeting with the king and the crown prince were released by the Saudi government in an apparent effort to showcase their sympathy. Instead, the photo opportunity elicited scorn on social media, with critics accusing them of exploiting the grieving son.

Turkey has long dismissed the Saudi assertion of an accidental death and has pressed the kingdom to concede that Khashoggi was deliberately targeted for death.

Turkish officials have discounted the ability of Saudi Arabia to conduct a credible investigation, given suspicion that the royal court was behind the operation. Officials noted that two of Mohammed’s closest advisers were dismissed last week when the kingdom said Khashoggi died in a fistfight.

“We have maintained since the beginning that the Khashoggi murder was premeditated,” a senior Turkish official told The Washington Post shortly after the Saudi announcement on Thursday. “We owe it to Jamal and his loved ones to uncover all of the truth. The criminal investigation continues in Turkey.”

Khashoggi, 59, was a contributing opinion writer for The Post who was living in Virginia after leaving Saudi Arabia because of fear about his safety. He had been planning to settle in Istanbul and marry his Turkish fiancee when he was detained and killed in the Saudi Consulate. His remains have not yet been found.

Also Thursday, the European Union issued a fresh condemnation of Khashoggi’s killing and reiterated its skepticism that it could have been carried out without Mohammed’s knowledge.

The European Parliament passed a nonbinding resolution Thursday urging an EU-wide arms embargo on Saudi Arabia in response. The resolution came several days after Germany became the first Western government to suspend arms sales to Saudi Arabia, the world’s largest arms importer.

French President Emmanuel Macron and British Prime Minister Theresa May both spoke via telephone with King Salman, according to a statement issued by the Saudi Foreign Ministry late Thursday, hours after the European Parliament’s resolution passed.

According to an Elysee Palace readout of the conversation, Macron pressed his Saudi counterpart for more clarity on what happened to Khashoggi and told him France considers freedom of expression and freedom of the press an “essential priority.”

But Britain and France have both stopped short of suspending arms sales to the desert kingdom.

Through a steady stream of leaks to Turkish and foreign media, Turkish officials have mounted a compelling case that the Saudi agents planned to kill Khashoggi, dismember him and dispose of his remains. The Turks have identified a Saudi forensics specialist who is an expert in mobile autopsies and who had traveled to Istanbul the day Khashoggi was planning to visit the consulate. They also photographed Saudi diplomatic vehicles scouting wooded areas in the days before Khashoggi disappeared.

In addition, the leaks have featured surveillance pictures of a Saudi agent wearing Khashoggi’s clothes and a fake beard and leaving the consulate in an orchestrated bid to fool investigators into thinking the journalist had safely left the diplomatic mission, as the Saudis initially claimed.

The United States has already taken some steps toward punishing the suspects detained or fired by Saudi Arabia, revoking their visas.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said he is working with the Treasury Department on whether to impose sanctions on those found responsible for the journalist’s death.

It was not immediately clear how Thursday’s announcement from Riyadh would affect Washington’s thinking amid bipartisan demands from Congress for severe punishment of Saudi Arabia – the nation at the center of Trump’s Middle East policy.

James McAuley in Paris and Quentin Ariès in Brussels contributed to this report.