Both Falmouth and Greely’s football teams were eliminated in Class B South semifinals last weekend.

The Yachtsmen, ranked third in the region, had advanced with a 31-13 quarterfinal round win over No. 6 Noble, but at No. 2 Marshwood, in a rematch of last year’s memorable regional final, Falmouth met its match.

The defending state champion Hawks, who won, 45-0, at Falmouth in the teams’ regular season matchup Sept. 28, marched 91 yards for a score to start the game, but Coleman Allen’s 7-yard touchdown run forged a 6-6 tie after one quarter. Marshwood went up, 13-6, but Brady Douglas returned an interception 59-yards for a score to cut the deficit to one. After the Hawks scored again, Yachtsmen quarterback Nick Mancini found Evan Lovely for a 48-yard TD with 32 seconds to go before the break, pulling Falmouth within 20-18.

Marshwood then pulled away in the third period with three straight touchdowns and after Riley Reed scored on a 4-yard run for the Yachtsmen, the Hawks found the end zone one more time to prevail, 49-24, ending Falmouth’s season at 6-4.

“I thought we played very well in the first half,” said Falmouth coach John Fitzsimmons. “Their size just caught up to us in the second half and three quick scores just changed everything.

“Overall, it was a good season. We only had four returning starters, but a lot of first-time players really stepped up. They exceeded my expectations. They were very supportive of each other. I knew after the Brunswick game (in week one), that we would always fight to the end. We finished third in the league and that’s something to be proud of.”

Expect the Yachtsmen to be right back in the hunt in 2019.

“We’re losing some horsepower, like All-Conference players Riley Reed, Coleman Allen, Jake Ricker and Evan Lovely, but we’ll have good numbers back,” Fitzsimmons said. “We’re fortunate to be in a town with a lot of good athletes. I look forward to next season.”

Greely was ranked fourth in Class B South and after beating fifth-ranked Biddeford, 22-14, in the quarterfinals, the Rangers had to go to top-ranked, undefeated Kennebunk for the semifinals.

Greely fell behind, 14-0, after one quarter, trailed, 28-0, at halftime and 42-0 after three periods before a 2-yard run from Joey Cassella in the fourth period got the Rangers on the board and accounted for the 42-8 final score.

Greely, which was undermanned all season, still managed to finish the year 5-5.

“We were disappointed with the outcome,” said Rangers coach David Higgins. “We didn’t play very well, but Kennebunk was just better than us. We hoped to make a better showing.

“I think the guys did a really good job this year. It was a really hard year for everybody.”

Question marks surround the Greely program heading into 2019.

“We lose a lot,” Higgins said. “Ten seniors and out of those 10, seven or eight played both ways. We have a very small incoming eighth grade class, so I’m not sure what’s going to happen.”

Freeport one win from Developmental crown

Freeport, playing in the Class E Developmental league this fall, will host Dirigo in the finale Saturday afternoon.

The Falcons, ranked first, had a bye into the semifinals and downed No. 4 Camden Hills, 12-6. Adam Ulrickson scored both touchdowns.

Freeport (8-1) handled second-ranked Dirigo (8-1), 34-14, on Sept. 28.

Press Herald staff writer Steve Craig contributed to this story.

Sports Editor Michael Hoffer can be reached at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter: @foresports.