PARSONSFIELD – A 41-year-old Parsonsfield man wanted for allegedly attempting to illegally acquire a firearm in New Hampshire through deception has turned himself into authorities.

Michael Monroe was featured Wednesday morning as the “Fugitive of the Week,” by the U.S. Marshal’s Service. The feature appears in a number of New Hampshire newspapers and on television stations in the Granite State.

Supervisory Deputy U.S. Marshal for the District of New Hampshire Jeffrey White said Monroe turned himself in at the U.S. District Court in Concord on Thursday morning.

Monroe had been sought on an outstanding arrest warrant alleging the he made false statements when he attempted to buy a gun.

Michael Monroe

Reached by telephone  on Thursday, White said Monroe had called him on Wednesday afternoon to say he’d heard he was the featured fugitive.

“He said ‘can I come in at 9 a,m, on Friday and I said ‘how about 9 a.m. Thursday,’” said White.

Monroe agreed, and was taken into custody when he arrived at the U.S. District Court.

White said the “Fugitive of the Week” feature has been successful tool that has resulted in the location and arrest of numerous fugitives since its implementation in 2007. As well as to news outlets, the “Fugitive of the Week” is distributed statewide in New Hampshire to all law enforcement officers.

The New Hampshire Joint Fugitive Task Force was established in 2002. As of December 2018, the partnership has resulted in more than 7,475 arrests. The arrests have included people wanted for murder, assault, failing to register as a sex offender, probation and parole violations and numerous other serious offenses, said White.

Monroe was scheduled to make a court appearance late Thursday at the U.S. District Court in Concord.

Further details were not available Thursday afternoon.

— Senior Staff Writer Tammy Wells can be contacted at 780-9016 or [email protected]

Comments are not available on this story.

filed under: