A Vassalboro man died after a fire broke out in his Hussey Hill Road home Thursday afternoon, authorities said.

Nicholas Blaschke, 26, was found on the floor of the kitchen by his mother, Kathy Cote, when she returned from work, Maine Department of Public Safety spokesman Stephen McCausland said.

Maine State Police Lt. Scott Ireland, who lives nearby, pulled the victim from the smoke-filled house but was unable to resuscitate him. Ireland was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.

Investigators from the State Fire Marshal’s Office said a toaster in the kitchen malfunctioned, starting the fire in the one-story home.


Comments are not available on this story.

filed under: