Each team erased a deficit, got clutch goaltending and scored on the power play, so perhaps it was fair that Thursday afternoon’s boys’ hockey game between Cape Elizabeth and South Portland/Freeport/Waynflete ended in a 3-3 tie at Troubh Ice Arena.

The Capers overcame a 2-1 halftime deficit, taking the lead with back-to-back goals, but Cullen Adams tied it late in regulation. And while Cape Elizabeth had some golden opportunities on the power play in overtime, the Capers couldn’t produce a winning goal.

“Some of these games this year haven’t felt that intense, but this one was definitely one of the better games for both teams,” said Adams.

Cape Elizabeth sophomore goalie Charlie Garvin was busy in the first half, making 14 of his 22 saves.

The Capers (3-1-2) grabbed the lead at 6:03. Ben Connolly passed to Nick Laughlin, who ripped a shot past Red Riots goalie Jasper Curtis.

South Portland (2-4-1) tied it at 9:47, as Harry Millspaugh’s shot was deflected in front to Owen Anderson, who sent the puck past Garvin. Adams also got an assist.


The Red Riots then cashed in on a 5-on-3 power play at 18:25. Again a shot was deflected, this time off the stick of Brady Frank, and caromed to Ian Wright, who gave his team a 2-1 lead. Millspaugh picked up his second assist.

After a spirited chat with Coach Jake Rutt, Cape Elizabeth came out with renewed focus for the second half but was stymied for several minutes by Curtis (23 saves).

Finally, at 12:07, Alex Thayer got the puck from Patrick Lee and slipped a shot from the side just past Curtis.

After going on a power play, Cape Elizabeth took a 3-2 lead at 13:19 on another blast from Laughlin. Dimitri Coupe and Oscar Frankwicz were credited with assists.

“The first half wasn’t our team identity and our leaders responded,” said Rutt. “Our second-half play told the story.”

South Portland, though, soon got another 5-on-3 power play. Cape Elizabeth killed the first penalty, but Adams scored from Rich Gilboy and Dylan Hannan with five minutes left in regulation.


“We kept working at it,” said Adams. “It could have been me or Dylan, but the puck just happened to come to me.”

In overtime, the Capers went on a power play with 2:37 left, but Curtis denied Jack Pellechia. Sebastian Moon then had a split-second look at an empty net but sent the puck high.

“It was a great battle,” said South Portland Coach Joe Robinson. “I think we started off strong, had a little bit of a lapse and fell behind, but we battled back. It was a physical game on both sides.”

The teams meet again in the season finale March 13.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.