A standoff in Buxton that forced police to close Long Plains Road for more than six hours was peacefully resolved Thursday afternoon with the surrender and arrest of a suspect in an alleged domestic violence incident.

Michael P. Landry, 40, was arrested and charged with domestic violence aggravated assault, a Class B crime, and violation of conditions of release, Chief Troy Cline said in a news release posted on the Buxton Police Department’s Facebook.

Police said the incident began at 6:57 a.m. when Buxton police received a 911 call from the home at 248 Long Plains Road, which is Route 22. The officers who responded determined that a domestic violence assault had occurred and that the alleged attacker, Landry, was free on bail under the conditions that he have no contact with the victim. Landry also was prohibited from being in the town of Buxton.

Officers were able to remove the victim from the area. She told police that Landry had fled the home on foot and could be armed with a knife. She told officers she thought Landry was hiding in a shed behind the home.

“The victim had injuries consistent with having been assaulted and was seen by rescue personnel,” Cline said. “Contrary to some reports that have surfaced, the victim was not arrested or charged with any crime.”

After obtaining a warrant for Landry’s arrest and a search warrant for the property, state police were able to make contact with Landry via email. Landry surrendered at 2:14 p.m. without incident. He was being held at the York County Jail. The road reopened a short time later.


Members of the Buxton Fire Department, Maine State Police, the Maine State Police Tactical Response Team, Maine State Police Computer Crimes, Gorham police, York County Sheriff’s Department and the Cumberland County Sheriff’s Department assisted Buxton police.

Hours passed before authorities released any details about what happened, other than to announce that Long Plains Road was closed between Parker Farms and Limington roads. Police from multiple agencies staged in the parking lot of a nearby shopping plaza during the incident. Police used a loudspeaker to negotiate with Landry.

The situation prompted Bonny Eagle schools to initiate a “lockout” at nearby buildings. The school department notified parents that no one would be allowed in or out of Bonny Eagle High School, Bonny Eagle Middle School and Buxton Center Elementary School as a precaution while police responded to the incident. After-school activities were canceled.

Colin Hamilton, who lives next door to the house where the standoff took place, said the road was blocked when he left at 7:30 a.m. to bring his son to school. During the standoff, he was unable to get back to his house, where his wife and 5-year-old son waited with locked doors.

Hamilton said his wife heard police talking to a person in the house next door via loudspeaker. When she walked to the end of the driveway, an officer told her to go back inside to wait, he said.

In the last two years, Hamilton said he has seen police at the house next door at least a dozen times.

Comments are not available on this story.

filed under: