Chicago Cubs Manager David Ross said the team is being “extra cautious” right now after two coaches tested positive for coronavirus. Gene J. Puskar/Associated Press

MILWAUKEE — The Chicago Cubs are concerned about a possible COVID-19 outbreak after two coaches tested positive for the virus and three relievers were placed on the COVID-19-related injured list.

The team announced the positive test for bullpen coach Chris Young on Monday, with first base coach Craig Driver already away from the team following his positive test.

Relievers Brandon Workman, Jason Adam and Dan Winkler were placed on the COVID-19-related injured list. There was no word on whether their designation was the result of a positive test or contact tracing.

Despite the issues, Manager David Ross said Monday night’s series opener at Milwaukee isn’t in jeopardy of being postponed.

“Everyone has tested today that is here and is negative,” he said.

Left-handers Justin Steele and Brad Wieck were recalled from the team’s alternate site in South Bend, Indiana. Veteran reliever Pedro Strop was selected as a replacement player from the alternate site. All three players were expected to be available against the Brewers.

Ross said the team is being “extra cautious” right now.

“I think that once you get a positive and what we got with Craig, it’s just on your radar for a while,” he said. “There’s always that underlying ‘How big is this?’ There’s concern, for sure.”

Ross also said the organization is hoping for the best and planning for the worst. The Cubs avoided any COVID-19 scares last season on their way to the NL Central title.

“We didn’t deal with this last year and feel very fortunate in that way,” Ross said. “You’re worried about the health and well-being of others and I think it hits home every time my phone rings and it’s one of the docs or trainers. Your heart stings. And we’re trying to win ballgames, too.”

A.J. HINCH, the manager of the Detroit Tigers, reflected on the Houston Astros sign-stealing scandal that cost him his job as the team’s manager in his return to Houston on Monday, saying it put a “cloud over the sport.”

Hinch was suspended by baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred for a year in January 2020 and subsequently fired by owner Jim Crane for his role in the scheme that violated rules by using a video camera to steal catchers’ signs during Houston’s run to the 2017 World Series title and again in the 2018 season.

He was hired by the Tigers this off-season and discussed the scandal prior to Monday night’s opener of a three-game series against the Astros.

Asked whether he still takes pride in leading the Astros to their first title in a season tainted by cheating, he gave a long and frank answer acknowledging the team’s wrongdoing.

“I do believe that we did some good things in Houston,” Hinch said. “I do believe we were wrong in the behavior and the decisions that we made in 2017, and it’s hard to have that cloud over the sport and be responsible for that and be the man that was that was the manager that it happened on my watch.”

Hinch spent five seasons in Houston, helping turn around a team that had sunk to embarrassing lows during a rebuild in the years before he arrived. The Astros won more than 100 games in each of his last three seasons, capped by a franchise-best 107 wins in 2019 when they lost to the Washington Nationals in the World Series.

Hinch added that he has largely been quiet in publicly reflecting on his time in Houston because his “relationship with that time is complicated.” He said he’s tried to keep the stain of his actions away from the Tigers since they hired him.

“It’s something I take very seriously,” he said. “I will continue to apologize not only to the Houston fans, but to all the fans around baseball and continue to repeat how wrong it was. And for that, we’re going to have to live with that for the rest of our careers. It’s part of my story.”

METS-PHILLIES: A day after pushing starter Marcus Stroman to pitch amid rain that paused play after seven minutes, the Mets called off their game Monday against the Philadelphia Phillies with another downpour en route, rescheduling it as part of a doubleheader on Tuesday.

The decision was announced about two hours before Monday’s 7:10 p.m. scheduled first pitch.

METS: Francisco Lindor gets a $21 million signing bonus as part of his $341 million, 10-year contract with the New York Mets that starts next year.

The All-Star shortstop was acquired from Cleveland in a Jan. 7 trade and agreed Jan. 15 to a $22.3 million, one-year contract.

His new deal, announced April 5, calls for the signing bonus to be paid upon the deal’s approval by the commissioner’s office. He gets salaries of $32 million annually starting in 2021, of which $5 million each year is deferred without interest.

ANGELS: Los Angeles Angels third baseman Anthony Rendon was placed on the 10-day injured list Monday because of a strained groin.

Rendon was hurt while making a throw late in a 15-1 loss to Toronto on Saturday. The Angels made the roster move retroactive to Monday. Angels Manager Joe Maddon said he hopes Rendon will be sidelined for the minimum 10 days.

Rendon, 30, is starting his second season with the Angels after signing a $245 million, seven-year contract.

RANGERS: Texas right-hander Jonathan Hernandez had Tommy John surgery surgery on his right elbow Monday, just less than two weeks after fellow reliever José Leclerc had the same procedure, and their bullpen will also be without hard-throwing Matt Bush until at least July.

Both Hernandez and Leclerc will be sidelined until at least early in the 2022 season. Meister did Leclerc’s surgery on March 31. Bush has a flexor strain in his right arm and will get an injection Tuesday, then wait six weeks before a follow-up MRI to determine if the right-hander is ready to start throwing again.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.