Police respond to a head-on crash on Main Street in Clinton on Monday. Haley Hersey/Morning Sentinel

CLINTON — A two-vehicle head-on crash was investigated on Main Street Monday morning, with authorities saying at least one person was taken by LifeFlight helicopter to a hospital for treatment of injuries.

The crash was reported about 9:35 a.m., about a quarter-mile away from Sebasticook Valley Family Health Care. Police closed that section of the road to respond to the crash and it was reopened just before noon.

Three people were involved in the crash, according to Clinton Police Chief Rusty Bell; Harry Cooke, 20; Scott Gervais, 55; and Michael Tripodi, whose age was not available..

Bell said that Cooke was driving southbound in a small four-door vehicle when he crossed the median and collided with a large four-door Elite Taxi, operated by Gervais, with Tripodi in the vehicle.

“All of the passengers at the scene were talking and giving us information and talking about their injuries,” Bell said. “They were all transported. There’s always a concern for more injuries than we see as a result of the crash.”

All three passengers were able to describe where they felt pain. Bell said that he did not know the extent of the other passengers’ injuries, but knew that Cooke was the most injured in the crash.


Cooke was taken by ambulance to MaineGeneral’s Thayer campus in Waterville and from there was taken by LifeFlight to another hospital. Bell did not know where Cooke went for treatment.

The road was cleared around 11:50 a.m. and crews are still working to piece together what caused the crash. Bell said that it is too soon to speak to any potential factors that may have contributed to the crash.

The Clinton Police Department is working with Maine State Police’s reconstruction team to look at airbag and computer readings to see if any vehicle malfunctions were contributing factors.

“Our biggest priority is to allow them to get the treatment that they need,” Bell said. “Then we will be conducting follow-up interviews with everyone involved to see what happened, once they’re able to get over the shock.”

Clinton Fire, Maine State Police, and Winslow Fire and Rescue were also on scene.

Comments are not available on this story.

filed under: