Scarborough junior Jeremiah Park, who had a game-high four goals, protects the ball from Windham senior Hunter Vail during the Red Storm’s 13-1 victory Thursday night. Hoffer photo


Scarborough 13 Windham 1

W- 1 0 0 0- 1
S- 3 2 4 4- 13

First quarter
10:30 S Delaware (unassisted) (MAN-UP)
8:35 S Park (Delaware) (MAN-UP)
6:49 W Brown (unassisted)
1:59 S Pedersen (unassisted)

Second quarter
4:26 S Park (unassisted)
11.4 S Baba (unassisted)

Third quarter
11:46 S Pedersen (Doherty)
7:15 S Leadley (Delaware)
1:42 S Fogarty (unassisted)
1:03 S Leadley (unassisted)

Fourth quarter
10:50 S Park (unassisted) (MAN-UP)
8:11 S Baba (Delaware)
6:46 S Park (unassisted)
5:18 S Pedersen (Leadley)

W- Brown 1
S- Park 4, Pedersen 3, Baba, Leadley 2, Delaware, Fogarty 1

S- Delaware 3, Doherty, Leadley 1

Faceoffs: (Windham, 13-4)
W-Anderson 13 of 17
S- Carlista 4 of 16, Doherty 0 of 1

Ground balls:
W- 29
S- 37

W- 28
S- 16

W- 24
S- 54

Shots on cage:
W- 12
S- 32

W (Wescott) 19
S (Medeiros) 11

SCARBOROUGH—One week after being held scoreless for over 30 minutes and suffering a frustrating loss, Scarborough’s boys’ lacrosse team finally got to return to action Thursday evening at the Kippy Mitchell Sports Complex and suffice it say that the Red Storm have returned to their scoring ways.

Much to the chagrin of the Windham Eagles.

Scarborough took an early lead on man-up goals from juniors Tae Delaware and Jeremiah Park, but the Eagles answered with 6:49 to play in the opening quarter as senior Travis Brown scored.

Windham wouldn’t score again.

A goal from junior Finn Pedersen made it 3-1 Red Storm after one period and Park and Sebastien Baba added goals for a 5-1 halftime advantage.

Scarborough then ended all doubt in the second half, as Pedersen, senior Owen Leadley, junior Quinn Fogarty and Leadley again scored third quarter goals and Park, Baba, Park again and Pedersen added fourth period tallies to close it out, 13-1.

The Red Storm improved to 6-2 and in the process, dropped the Eagles to 3-6.

“That was fun,” said Scarborough coach Zach Barrett. “There was a lot of soul searching the past week to make sure we came out and did what we knew we could do. I’m really proud of the boys.”

Return to form

Scarborough started with victories at Thornton Academy (8-6), at home over South Portland (18-7) and at Windham (12-6), then took host Falmouth into overtime before dropping a palpitating and agonizing 10-9 decision. Scarborough bounced right back with a 12-2 home victory over Kennebunk and a 14-7 win at South Portland, then scored just three goals and was held scoreless the final 30-minutes, 44-seconds in last Thursday’s 4-3 home loss to Thornton Academy.

Windham has been more competitive than its record shows. The Eagles started with a 10-7 loss at Falmouth, then downed Kennebunk (8-3). After a 12-6 home loss to Scarborough, Windham eked out an 11-10 overtime win at South Portland, then beat the visiting Red Riots, 13-5. Losses to Thornton Academy (9-3), Kennebunk (8-7) and Falmouth (14-5) followed.

In the teams’ first meeting, senior Aidan Joyce scored five goals and Pedersen added three for the Red Storm.

Thursday, on a chilly evening (57 degrees and dropping at the onset), Scarborough reminded everyone how potent it can be when it’s able to put the ball in the net on a regular basis.

Eagles sophomore goalie Reed Wescott denied Delaware in the game’s first minute, but after going man-up, the Red Storm went on top to stay with 10:30 to play in the first period, as Delaware scored unassisted.

After Wescott twice denied Park, Scarborough scored man-up again with 8:35 on the clock, as Delaware set up Park for a 2-0 lead.

Windham then answered, as after Brown and senior Holden Anderson had shots saved by Red Storm senior goalie Josh Medeiros, Brown was able to finish unassisted with 6:49 to go.

The Eagles weren’t able to score again the final 42:49, however.

After Red Storm senior Will St. Germain hit the post at one end and Brown did the same at the other, Pedersen scored for the first time, unassisted, with 1:59 remaining in the quarter and Scarborough would take a 3-1 lead to the second period.

There, Medeiros kept Windham at bay by denying junior Will Woolston, senior Derek Palow and Anderson.

Then, with 4:26 to go before halftime, the Red Storm’s offense reawakened, as Park scored unassisted.

Then, with time winding down, out of a timeout, Baba bulled his way through the Eagles defense and finished to make it 5-1 at the break.

In the first half, Scarborough enjoyed a 27-15 shots advantage and only 10 saves from Wescott kept the game somewhat close.

The Red Storm then broke it open in the third quarter.

Just 14 seconds into the second half, after a Windham turnover, in transition, Doherty fed Pedersen for a pretty goal and a 6-1 advantage.

After senior Connor Cummings hit the post for the Eagles, Delaware found Leadley for his first goal with 7:15 remaining.

After Pedersen hit the crossbar and St. Germain hit the post, Fogarty made it 8-1, scoring unassisted after a nice spin move with 1:42 to go.

Thirty-nine seconds later, Leadley scored unassisted and the lead was 9-1 heading for the final stanza.

There, the Red Storm scored again, just 70 seconds in, as Park finished man-up.

After Leadley hit the post, Delaware set up Baba for his second goal with 8:11 remaining for a 10-goal lead.

With 6:46 to go, Park scored unassisted and with 5:18 to play, Leadley set up Pedersen for a 12-goal advantage, inducing a mercy rule running clock.

That would be it for scoring and Scarborough closed out its 13-1 victory.

“I didn’t think we finished that great,” Barrett said. “Their goalie stood on his head. We struggled in the first half running our offense the way we can, but we clicked in the second half and figured things out. We’re still not playing as well as I think we can, but that was better.”

Park paced a balanced and prolific offensive attack with four goals. Pedersen added three goals, Baba and Leadley had two apiece and Delaware and Fogarty also tickled the twine.

Delaware also had three assists, while Doherty and Leadley had one apiece.

Medeiros made 11 saves.

Senior defensemen Will Arpin and Alex Callahan each had six ground balls, as Scarborough had a 37-29 advantage in that category. The Red Storm had a commanding 54-24 edge in shots (32-12 on frame) and overcame 16 turnovers.

“Our defense played amazing and our goalie had an incredible game,” said Barrett. “Awesome stuff all around.”

Windham’s lone goal came from Brown. Anderson won 13 of 17 faceoffs and had a game-high 11 ground balls, while Wescott made 19 saves.

The Eagles committed 28 turnovers.

Closing fast

Windham (currently sixth in the Class A North Heal Points standings) is back in action Saturday at Gray-New Gloucester. A home game versus Lewiston and a trip to Thornton Academy also remain.

Scarborough (fourth in Class A South) has a daunting closing stretch, as it goes to Berwick Academy Friday, welcomes Falmouth Monday, plays at Kennebunk Tuesday, then finishes at home versus powerhouse Cape Elizabeth June 1.

“The boys are ready and enthusiastic,” said Barrett. “Tomorrow is a big question mark down at Berwick against a team we’ve never seen before. They’ve played well, but they haven’t been playing a tough schedule. Falmouth, the guys are ready for that. The only tough thing about that is that it’s Monday and it’s hard to stay focused on a game coming off a weekend.

“We need to fine-tune and keep a positive attitude and keep working together and getting better every day.”

Sports Editor Michael Hoffer can be reached at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter: @foresports.

Comments are not available on this story.